Compression Joints - how tight and which type of olive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep... a get out of Dodge solution, or complete lash up if to be considered a permanent solution.

Whether it works or not is not really relevant. It is unprofessional, looks awful and is indicative of the rest of the installation one way or 'tother.

Sponsored Links
OK, so you're all reluctant to admit that you've tried it, so your hostility is based on prejudice not on experience, and you can't say whether it gives a better seal or not.

I have tried it, and it does.

What's the name of this website?

My uncle was pig headed and got a little annoying after a while, he was always right no matter what any one else said.

Sponsored Links
Dan, since you have admitted that your hostility is based on prejudice, and not on performance, why do you care?

What's the name of this website?

Roguetrader,

I've used PTFE on olives and seen the results, it gives a better seal.

What results did you get when you tried it?

I'm am not being hostile in the least.

The title is DIYnot. I have always thought that it could be read two ways actually.

Now you are the one that is avoiding the question.

I have admitted to using it in very specific cases.

How can you quantify a better seal?

It leaks - or it doesn't. How many leaks were you getting before you started using it.

Come on John - I always considered you one of the more professional non-professionals.

since I started using PTFE on my olives, I have had 100% leak free results, on new and old joints from 15mm to 28mm, and a very old 12mm (half-inch OD) bronze stop-cock.

Prior to that I had between 2% and 5% that I had to go back to and either retighten, or take apart and re-paste, or cut off and start again.

100% leak free is much better, especially for DIYers who no-one expects to be skilled at making joints.

The only totally leak-free joints I have seen were the threaded iron and the wiped lead ones my old dad used to make, and I've seen how much work they were.

oh ffs who cares if you use ptfe,boss white,jet blue etc on an olive?peace of mind counts.

It just ain't Cricket ;).

Funny how precise the percentages are, but with not reference point (the number of joints made) they are meaningless.

Dunno what John does for a living and he seems very cagey about it, but we know he isn't totally stupid or devoid of plumbing knowledge. Which surprises me that he has such a high joint failure rate ;).

John

From my view I can see where you all have a point.

The addition of PTFE will if compressed enough, make a joint.
Professionally, there should be no need as the PTFE makes it more difficult to compress the olive which in turn makes for a poorer joint
If you get a Weep on a compression joint, your olive is over compressed, under compressed or the fitting not seated on the pipe properly.

The adding of paste, especially on CH, limits micro leaks or the entrainment of air, an obvious weep would be a poor joint as above.

Adding PTFE to an already crushed pipe is a quick fix to bulk out the olive.

That's my two pennies worth.

I didn't know they had running water in Bolivia :p

Yes of course you can. Wrap a few turns roundthe olive. It gives a good seal and reduces the risk of leaks.

You'll notice none of the old fellows who prefer not to use it, have denied that it gives a good seal and reduces the risk of leaks.

If you are a DIYer, and making joints with a good seal and reducing the risk of leaks is important to you, then PTFE tape on the olive is a good, easy and economical way to achieve it, first time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back