Compression Joints - how tight and which type of olive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
I think this whole thread is turning into a wind up.

It's OK for JohnD to disagree with half a dozen plumbers, we can't force him to be right. :rolleyes:

Whitesprit,

I've used PTFE on olives and seen the results, it gives a better seal.

What results did you get when you tried it?

How many joints do you make John? Percentages mean nothing.

Why is a seal better? It leaks or it doesn't.

If it leaks without PTFE, surely you have not made the joint properly?

Why is bodging PTFE onto an Olive better?

Sponsored Links
I'm patiently waiting for an anti-PTFE person to put forward evidence that they have tried it and it doesn't work.

I've put forward evidence that it does.

Prejudice aside, the evidence-based judgement is currently running 100% in favour of PTFE.

On a DIY website, where we can reasonably be expected to tell DIYers what they can do to reduce the risk of leaks on their unskilled pipe-jointing, I have not yet seen any good reason why they should not use PTFE.

I have no objection to anyone who wants to uphold the proud traditions of 1950's plumbers continuing to use jointing paste, hemp, and a paraffin blowlamp, wearing blue overalls and a cloth cap, and smoking roll-ups. However I would object to the idea that DIYers should be made to do the same.

Professionals posting on a DIY site are going to promote good practice and professional behaviour. Not bodges.

Can you answer the questions I have posed please?

High qualiity professional plumbing work requires compression joints that are tightened to the correct tightness, so that the pipe is not distorted and the olive can still be removed with an olive puller. It is also important that it is tight enough to prevent the possibility of the pipe blowing out of the joint. The presence of PTFE tape on the olive makes it difficult to assess the true tightness of the joint when tightened.

Surely a little more practice on making your joints properly rather than just blindly throwing tape at it would benefit you.
Im sure youd agree, it would be better to encourage our diy friends to carry out work in the proper fashion rather than make a half hearted attempt to bodge something together.
Im sure you can understand a bit of professional pride John, im sure you get it in your own profession, what do you do for work??

is there anyone who wants to say that they have tried PTFE tape and it doesn't work?

No?

Then let the DIYers use it.

It will give you something to grumble about over your bedtime Bournevita.

Problem is John, the pro's don't use it routinely because it is unprofessional and unnecessary.

Now, can you answer the questions please?

You getting evasive to the point of looking a little silly, which is beneath you.

Problem is John, the pro's don't use it routinely because it is unprofessional and unnecessary.

I haven't argued that pros ought to put PTFE tape on their olives if they don't want to.

I have argued that DIYers can benefit from using it because it will reduce the risk of their joints leaking, and that I have tried it, and it works.

Nobody on here wants to answer my question, have they tried it and did it work. I guess that is because either they haven't so they are talking hot air, or they have found that it does work, and don't want to weaken their stance by admitting that it does work, even without years of training and practice and a cloth cap.

I am a DIYer. I don't plumb pipes for a living. Just like the people who come on here and want to know what works.

Objections are useless if not based on evidence.

"Nobody on here wants to answer my question, have they tried it and did it work. I guess that is because either they haven't so they are talking hot air, or they have found that it does work, and don't want to weaken their stance by admitting that it does work, even without years of training and practice and a cloth cap."

Thousands of plumbers use a simple method of installing leak-free compression joints, ie. nothing or jointing comp. added to the olive. This works for them.

Why would they then go on to find another method that looks unprofessional and takes longer to do?

Can you imagine lots of compression joints being installed on pipes that are held to the wall with pipe clips? Trying to wrap PTFE around a pipe thats one inch away from a wall. Trying to feed the reel of PTFE between the pipe and the wall. Or trying to wind PTFE tape around hidden olives in awkward out of the way situations, where you can't even see the damn olive. Dropping the reel of PTFE, so it runs away letting out several feet of tape as it goes.

Why would you??? A plumber wouldn't as he has these types of situations every day. A DIYer with too much time on his hands may use PTFE.

The preofessional plumber.....................................uses common sense. He uses a smear of jointing comp. It works. It's practical in all situations.

If people come to this site for info, they want the best advice. Professional advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back