Compression Joints - how tight and which type of olive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
DIYers who have no idea use PTFE tape on comp fittings , everytime I see tape used I automatically think DIYer or short course cowboy , all the fitting requires is a smear of paste on the mating surface of olive/fitting , nothing more nothing less. , next we'll be hearing PTFE helps when it is wrapped round the thread or better still round the back face of the olive. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Professional plumbers often like to boast that their joints never leak.

It isn't true.

I worry that there are some people in this life who interpret things too literally. :rolleyes:

A turn of PTFE round the seated olive is fantastic for preventing weeps and I recommend it to any DIYer who isn't to proud to take precautions against much more work in future.

And I recommend a smear of jointing compound on the olive to any DIYer who isn't too proud to do the job properly, and make it look like it wasn't done by a DIYer! ;)

One of the main advantage of Boss White (or similar) is that it acts as a lubricant so that the backnot turns more smoothly, rather than in jerks and squeaks, allowing the professional to asses the tightness as he (or she) tightens it. It also acts as a seal at microscopic level.

I used to use LSX but that is a pain as you have limited time to tighten as it dries, and if you disturb or open the joint at a later stage you then have to peel or scrape off all the old, dry LSX.

Sorry to all the manufacturers whose brand names are being flung about with abandon. (except the PTFE...who makes that??)

Sponsored Links
And I recommend a smear of jointing compound on the olive to any DIYer who isn't too proud to do the job properly, and make it look like it wasn't done by a DIYer! ;)

These old jointing compounds like Hawk White and Boss White have been superseded by more advanced makes. How is that liquid PTFE? Smear that on an olive and will that make a good seal? I agree that LSX is a waste of time and appears to be just clear silicon to me. I have seen that partially block pipes when used on compression fitting when it oozes out.

Never use original boss white on potable water fittings it's illegal so use boss green.

These old jointing compounds like Hawk White and Boss White have been superseded by more advanced makes. How is that liquid PTFE? Smear that on an olive and will that make a good seal? I agree that LSX is a waste of time and appears to be just clear silicon to me. I have seen that partially block pipes when used on compression fitting when it oozes out.

Boss White is a Trade name mate, get over it.

it does amaze me when cloth-cap wearing old plumbers, who grew up on hemp and boss white, refuse to acknowledge the truth that a couple of turns of PTFE on an olive makes a better seal.

Please yourself, are you embarrassed? Unemployed? Retired?
If you are a pipe fitter at a nuclear plant I might take your advice seriously as I would respect your profession.
If you are chief tester at the anusol factory I don't see how you'd have much experience in my line of work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back