Computer on booting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On booting computer it freezes occassionaly, when along the entire top width of the screen a 5mm high green fence like figure appears. Unable to switch off by conventional method I switch off at the computer itself.
When I reboot again the problem doesnot appear .
Any idea what the problem could be. Please help :cry:

Sponsored Links
Might be memory (RAM) problem, might be graphics card getting old. If it appears very soon after powering on, probably graphics card.

If you like fiddling around, you could take the case off, clean the dust out, make sure everything is seated properly and see if that helps. Otherwise if it's only now and then I'd live with it until it's time to get a new PC.

Overheating can cause interesting errors, but not usually during booting (when everything's still cold). Worth checking that all the fans are spinning round and not covered in dust if you've go the cover off though.

How about some more info...

What Operating system do you use? Windows xp / Vista?

How much memory has the comuter ? RAM size

Hard dive Size, free space?

Whats the CPU? and age of the computer?

Personally I wouldnt just go about dusitng out the computer etc, your likely to cause damge if your unsure what parts your looking for. Static electrcity from your own body can make a computer usless if you hapen to spike a microchip etc....

Thanks Snow drift and Master Abacus.
If I connect a piece of wire to my finger and connect the other end to a metal part of the computer would it be alright to nullify static electricity?Can I could use a small brus?
The specs are-
Window 98SE
Hard drive 15Gb
Intel Pentium III
RAM 640Mb
Bought : July 2000 :confused:

Sponsored Links
I would buy a new PC that one has served you well!!!

But TBH most static problems dont happen these days buy a wrist strap if you are worried i personally just make sure some part of my flesh is touching the chassis.

I am thinking it is prob graphics card and probably the easiest for you to replace for testing, just buy a cheep jobby thats Win9 compatible.

Back