COMPUTER TELEVISION

S

Shutpa

Can I watch television on my computer and if so, how do I go about installing it?

Sponsored Links
Its probably explained in the links Softus gave you, but all you need is a tv tuner card appropriate for the kind of signal/feed you have.
ie. DVB-S for satellite, DVB-C for cable, DVB-T for freeview.
I built myself and the kids a gaming pc each, all with tuner cards in them so they watch tv on their pc, thus retiring their portables to the loft. Saves plenty of space too. :)
btw, the tuner card fits into a pci/pcie slot in your motherboard and you're left with a coax connector sticking out the back of your pc. This is where you plug your coax cable into to feed the pc with a tv signal. Software does the rest.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the info, I didn't realize that there was a tv card available to go inside the computer. Anyway, opening up the computer is not an option for me so will have a look at the USB tv connections at the weekend when I'm in town. We got a new aerial for our HD ready tv a couple of years ago, can the signal be diverted via cable to other receivers or would there be a big loss in quality?

Sponsored Links
You can get a usb dongle, but some tend to have their own antennae which are useless tbh. Look for one with a coax connector so you can plug your cable into it.

As regards you splitting your cable, are you saying that you had a new digital freeview aerial put on your roof 2 years ago?
If so then your cable most likely feeds into the loft or down the outside of your house through the external wall and into the tv.
You certainly can split it, but on average each split/joint in a coax cable will cost you about 2-3dB. So unless you have test equipment (which i doubt) it will be a suck it and see kind of thing really.

My setup has the freeview aerial cable coming into the loft and plugged into a loftbox which splits and maintains the signal. The loftbox has 8x f-connectors on it so in theory and i can split and feed 8x tv's.
So, i have a length of coax going from each of 4 connectors in the loftobx down through the ceiling into each of 4 bedrooms, supplying fta channels to tv and pcs (with tuner cards in). I get excellent signal and picture quality on everything.
Not bragging, lol, just hope it helps you get a picture of how it can be done. You could use just a very simple 2-way splitter if you want, one going to your hdtv, one going to your pc.

i'm curious, why can you not open up the back of your pc?

Look for one with a coax connector so you can plug your cable into it. This sounds ideal!

As regards you splitting your cable, are you saying that you had a new digital freeview aerial put on your roof 2 years ago? Yes

If so then your cable most likely feeds into the loft and into the tv. True.

So, i have a length of coax going from each of 4 connectors in the loftobx down through the ceiling into each of 4 bedrooms,to tv and pcs. This is what I had in mind.

I get excellent signal and picture quality on everything. Our signal is not great

Not bragging, :LOL: :LOL:

just hope it helps you get a picture of how it can be done. It does indeed!

Why can you not open up the back of your pc? I'm a bit clumsy these days.

Thanks again, you have been most helpful.

Why can you not open up the back of your pc? I'm a bit clumsy these days.
Lol, ok but pci/pcie cards are much better than usb attached dongles.

If your signal isn't great consider having your aerial looked at to make sure its optimised for your nearest regional transmitter.
Or if the aerial is fine, do you have any splits, or is it just one continuous cable from aerial to tv? If so, get your aerial checked. ;)

Our signal has never been great and most people around here have a poor signal. Every so often we lose most of the freeview channels but then eventually get them back. May just get another aerial engineer to check the aerial (and booster?) out.

tv card tv

other suppliers of Tv's and TV cards are available.

but my question is, why?
why would you want a tv card (or similar) for a pc? why not just buy another tv, if the pc goes wrong you still have a tv set, and you can have tv on and pc at same time.

Because I won't get a neck ache this way, another tv can take up more room
tv-pc-together.jpg

but my question is, why? you can have tv on and pc at same time.

For no reason other than I want to. Actually, we have a tv in this room but I would have to turn my chair round to watch it.

Sponsored Links
Back