concealed cables and RCD protection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just had an Electrical Installation report done on a property. In the 3 observations that were made one reads "Cables concealed within building fabric are not RCD protected" C3 and no further investigation required.

I will be speaking to the sparky tomorrow, but can any one tell me what all this means, I would like a little knowledge of what this is before speaking to him.

the other two observation were No RCDs for socket outlets and an emergency light was not working

there was no C1's or C2's in the report

Sponsored Links
Have just had an Electrical Installation report done on a property. In the 3 observations that were made one reads "Cables concealed within building fabric are not RCD protected" C3 and no further investigation required. ...I will be speaking to the sparky tomorrow, but can any one tell me what all this means, I would like a little knowledge of what this is before speaking to him.
The current edition of the Wiring Regulations (but not earlier editions) calls for cables buried <50mm deep in walls to be RCD protected unless they have mechanical protection (against penetration with drills, screws, nails). Whilst that is a requirement for new wiring, the requirement is not 'retrospective', and millions of houses in the UK are in the same position as yours. No action is required.
the other two observation were No RCDs for socket outlets
Much the same. Required (by current regulations) for any new sockets, but not existing ones.
there was no C1's or C2's in the report
That's what matters.

Kind Regards, John

The things on your report are not dangerous, but do not comply to current regulations, as they have changed since the installation was carried out.

What sort of premises is this in? It will need an on site risk assessment to see if / how urgently any upgrades are required.

Many thanks for the replies, I now understand why the need for rcd protection on concealed cables. - I guess the insurance company will for me to upgrade, will find out tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the replies, I now understand why the need for rcd protection on concealed cables. - I guess the insurance company will for me to upgrade, will find out tomorrow.
If the insurance company took that view, I think it would be pretty unreasonable (and probably a reason for looking for other insurers!) - as I said, there are probably millions of properties out there with buried cables that are not RCD-protected. Even looked at in actuarial terms, the probability of an insurance company getting a significant number of claims as as a result of the absence of such protection must be incredibly small. Penetration of buried cables with drill etc. is rare enough in the first place, and, even when it happens, the chances of the absence of an RCD resulting in a claim that wouldn't have arisen had an RCD been present is, again, very small.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back