Concealed toilet cistern leak

Dear JP, thank you. Hopefully when the washers are out I'll be able to get new ones and fit the new ones. Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Right. Thank you JP and TP.
I thought the leak was from the feed because the leak starts when there's a bit of water in the cistern but the leak stops once the water is out.
But now that its been pointed out to me there are stain marks on the flush pipe whilst the feed pipe looks fine.

Sponsored Links
The service/isolation valve could be the in the top left hand corner of photo#2.

first vacuum uup all that debris or you might get further problems.

as above the flush pipe looks to be weepin.
the flush pipe is at an angle as it goes through the tiled wall, as though its pushed back - it seems to be hittin the access hole as it goes through the tiled wall.

the flush pipe enters the pan boss through an external or more likely an internal plastic or rubber connector - if you mess with the flush pipe then replace the connector.

check for a leak where the flush pipe enters the back of the WC pan.
white sealant/silicone on the large white compression nut has been used to deal with previous leakin - maybe its leaked since installation?

with the top tiled ledge removed you could, with the help of a mirror, try to hand tight the flush pipe nut - try from the left hand side after first isolatin the c/w an flushin the cistern.
it might be that the flush pipe needs to be removed an shortened?

Bobasd, thank you for your reply.
Following the guidance from the other posts I have filled up the cistern a little and can now see the dripping. I've taken a video clip and will upload in a minute.

This looks like a problem with the original fitting, as bobasd has pointed out the flush pipe is exiting the fitting at an angle. If not nicely square into the fitting then you are much more likely to get leaks. it may have weeped since originally fitted, or just be more prone to leaks as the washers have hardened over time.

If you have found that there is a leak when cistern is just part filled ,its unlikely to be on the flush pipe as that only has water in it whilst flushing. So where is it leaking ? The suspense is killing me !!!!

It`s plastic on plastic so don`t overtighten it if you feel the need to use a wrench, hand tight should do but see you`re tight on room.

JP, when I say tighten with a wrench, I mean that sometimes your hand can not reach the part but a wrench can. It only needs nipping up and not swinging on which I'm sure the OP is aware of.

Andy

Thank you Andy, JP, DanDIY, and bobasd.

Still trying to upload video clip.

I can just reach the round nut but can't undo it at present by hand.

JP, when I say tighten with a wrench, I mean that sometimes your hand can not reach the part but a wrench can. It only needs nipping up and not swinging on which I'm sure the OP is aware of.

Andy
Andy, I`m known for thinking that some DIYers need the I`s dotting and the T`s crossed, didn`t mean to cause offence and wasn`t have a dig.

If you have found that there is a leak when cistern is just part filled ,its unlikely to be on the flush pipe as that only has water in it whilst flushing. So where is it leaking ? The suspense is killing me !!!![/QUOTE

****** so where is it leaking ??***

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back