Concerns about roof maintenance on potential extension - valley issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just after some general advice about an extension to our existing pitched roof. I attach a plan for reference (apologies for the sketchy scrawl!). The boundary of the existing pitched roof is demarcated by the blue dots. There is also an existing flat roof (single storey only) demarcated by the orange dots. We have planning to add an additional bedroom upstairs and create a larger downstairs which results in an extended area of pitched roof and the creation of a potentially troublesome valley. I highlight in green the area that I am most concerned about.

We have trees on our neighbours's side to the west that have recently been cut back (after a TPO application which we instigated) but they still provide a lot of shade onto the north-western side of our property and we have a very bad moss problem. It was cleaned approximately 2 years ago but is covered again. The existing roof tiles are circa 45 years old so are probably pitted and in need of replacement which may be exacerbating the problem.

Does anybody have any advice as to whether we are asking for trouble with this or what our maintenance options would be? How often would it need cleaning? Does anyone have any reputable companies that they would recommend?

In terms of roof materials, we are considering a synthetic slate product known as meta-slate which is meant to be very durable. Not sure whether a synthetic would have less of an issue with moss as may not absorb moisture as much?

Grateful for any thoughts/experience...
roof overhead sketch_LI.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi Laura
I have never heard of meta slate but I would just go with
natural slate if that is what the rest of your roof is made from. Flat walk in valleys are prone to catching debris,
you could incorporate a velux window for maintenance access.

If the valley is properly designed, and then properly built it won't be a problem.

"Meta slate" is steel. As this is not a shed, you may want to avoid it.

Thanks both. Catlad - We have clay tiles at the moment but they need replacing so the whole roof would be replaced with a new material. Our builder has given us some properties to go and look at for synthetic slate other than the meta slate so going to give that a go.

Sponsored Links
Bring the box gutter up to form a higher level flat roof. Leaves will obviously come to rest up there. But should not cause serious issues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back