Concrete Block (Laying)

I don't agree with you there. They have basically done a 1/3 running bond in block, you can do a stack bond quite happily but you need bed reinforcement, not due to the load, but due to the vertical strength.

If this is a habitual room I would think about getting them to take it down and start again, if it's just an outbuilding like you said I would not worry about it if you got it at a cheap enough price.

I don’t think the cost is a question for me, how difficult is it for 1 to ask for money to the job right.
It is not a habitual room but I don’t think I’m double blocking for it to be a shoddy job.

Sponsored Links
It'll be 100 mm bond to eliminate a whole load of cuts on 2 opposite corners - its lazy, but its not going to fall down if the mortar is reasonably strong.

Overall the 25 - 30 mm mortar joint on the top inside row plus random bond and mismatching blocks says quick, lax and not caring about the job to me.

If the price is right it'll serve as a decent garage.

Once the mortar is over a week old it'll be less easy to strip down and rebuild without block damage.

At the moment its £600 plus materials down the pan, if left it could be your cost plus a skip.

Set the standard for everything in writing if you haven't already done so.

Not caring about the job is what gets to me, plus with the weather turning for the worse I would have liked to get this finished.
The price is a different standard for everyone and is not really an issue, are the block layed correctly and are they common issues caused by laying like this in the future.

I don't agree with you there. They have basically done a 1/3 running bond in block, you can do a stack bond quite happily but you need bed reinforcement,
Half bond does spread the load better, that's a basic of brickwork. Stack bond isn't suitable for taking any great loads. Also that wall isn't re- inforced

Sponsored Links
My concern wouldn't be the strength of the bond. It's more that setting up corners for the right bond is one of the first things you learn.. so who else does he have working on your job and what have they cocked up? As above, cavity ties, etc. I'd be keeping a close eye on the rest of the job...

Yes they have been using wall ties and insulation is being put in as they go along
Make sure the insulation is in contact with the inner leaf so there's no possibility of air movement. Also plenty of wall ties around the openings. I know those because that's what our builder did wrong.

Half bond does spread the load better, that's a basic of brickwork. Stack bond isn't suitable for taking any great loads. Also that wall isn't re- inforced
This is a domestic one story building not a block of flats. Stack bonding block work can happy take the weight of a 2 story house that's without reinforcement in voids but in beds.
I've seen worse still standing.

It's already been said but the work is not really acceptable but is highly unlikely to fall down. So you can make your own decision on the best course of action. Ask the builder if he would be happy to put a picture of that wall on his website or facebook.

It might not fall down, but there's more chance of cracks developing. Why build it the wrong way when it's easier to bond it correctly?
Woody's post goes into the faults in more detail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back