Concrete Fence Posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Woke up this morning to a fence panel in next door neighbours garden and the concrete fence posts on either side have failed, cracked and would no longer hold the fence panel.

I presume for what they are worth it's not worth trying to repair, but to replace?

I take it the standard way to do it would be to dig out the concrete (as its probably set in that) and put another one in bedded in concrete?

The panel is the one on the far right and the posts are the far right one and the one to the left of it.

It is the boundary wall between ours and the garden across from us - I'll have to go and knock on their door... :oops:

Sponsored Links
Yep, that's about it really.....a small crack in the posts lets rain in, which rusts the rebar within.....this expands and bursts the concrete post.
John :)

your pic does not show what has happened to the posts.

However it does appear that panels have been fitted which are higher than the posts, so we can assume that the posts were overloaded and had (say) 20% of their original length in the ground, which was sufficient for the intended panel, but not for the oversized panel.

It is very hard to get a lump of concrete out of the ground. In your case it will be especially difficult as there seems to be a concrete shed base in the way.

Can you borrow or hire a breaker, or have you got a heavy SDS+ drill that can be used with chisels or points? It is even worth buying a cheap one from Screwfix or Aldi for £50 or so, you will have finished the job before the guarantee runs out, and they are good at exchanging tools that break down. You don't need an expensive pro quality one that will last for years.

Sponsored Links
It's the ones at the far back of the picture and the photo is from pre breaking.

The "base" is wooden decking.

Thanks for the advice Burnerman.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back