Concrete gutter leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help! A few months ago we had our concrete gutters cleaned out and lined with fibreglass paint. However, as the photo shows it has started leaking onto our wall. The guy who did the work says he investigated it yesterday and did a water tightness test - sealing each end and throwing a couple of buckets of water on the gutter - and concluded there isn't a problem. But it definitely leaks every time it rains. We have persuaded him to come back and recoat that section which he has reluctntly agreed to. However he has absolutely no incentive to do it so I'm not holding my breath. Just wondered what the problem could be if it isn't anything to do with the coating? I don't know if this has been happening for a while because we only moved in a few months ago. Is fibreglass unreliable as a solution?

Sponsored Links
Well the fact that he came back is a good sign, some of your water may not be reaching your gutter and leaking into your eave's, has he not got a solution.

Fibreglass is an excellent substance for water proofing - its what many boats and canoes are made of, after all.
However, fibreglass paint is paint that can be painted onto fibreglass.....not exactly the same thing!
John :)

Sponsored Links
If he had laid up the gutters with fibreglass matting, there would be traces of the glass mat everywhere really....personally I don't trust paint alone to seal cracks permanently -- apart from maybe some liquid rubber solution. Catlad may well be correct though - we can't see much from here.

Hi burnerman, thanks. What is fibreglass matting? Fingers crossed the weather stays relatively dry. How much would it cost to use liquid rubber front and back? (4bed terrace)

You can get a roofing compound with fibres in it.

The only compound I have come across which is fibrous is a brush on solution called Cromapol, but there was another one that began with Ever something.
I guess it depends on what product your roofer guy used, and whether the leak is actually from the guttering or not....best come back to us as events progress.

I missed the fact that he has used paint, that can only be a temporary fix and gutters are not temporary.

the leak could be before water gets to the gutter, cromapol is usedin these situations and doesnt need fibreglass matting, acrypol is another used

By the time you've spent on all the acrypol you could have done it in single ply and gone 3 tiles up the roof

I would not recommend anyone to use acropol to line there gutters with! its for temp repairs only

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back