Concrete instead of screed?

J

Jase750

I am about to install the floor in the extension I am building on my house. Total area is approx 20 sq m and the floor is to go onto the concrete raft foundation slab. It will consist of dpm with 75mm celotex and 75mm fibre screed on top. My question is can I use concrete instead of screed? This is simply because it is easier (and considerably cheaper) for me to mix and install concrete myself using my own mixer. I would reinforce the concrete with chicken wire or similar welded mesh. The new kitchen floor would then be tiled. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Sponsored Links
You could but it will be an absolute b'stard to get any kind of acceptable finish on the concrete.

You will also have issues where the coarse aggregate will be puncturing the celotex (as you are barrowing and laying) so not a good idea all round.

Chicken wire is OK to use, but no way will you get a flat finish on concrete unless you powerfloat it

It's not just the fact of the lumpy stones, but it will move about as you trowel it

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice everyone. It was building control who suggested chicken wire in the screed as reinforcement, no different to expanded mesh in plaster I suppose. I would use fibre screed anyhow. My other concern with screed was the curing time, anything up to three months depending who you ask. It just narks me paying three times the money for ready mix screed but I guess I'll have to bite the bullet!

Concrete could be left slightly low, and finished with self levelling compound.
or, if you have a mixer then you could always mix your own screed, but prob wise to pre-mix the lot dry before chucking it in the mixer. You can buy the fibres to add to it too.

Leave concrete about 20mm low. Then get it asphalted. Much superior finish that way .

Lol .... He's trying to save costs not make it even more expensive than screed, and more complex and more onerous

May be more complex to you and others woody . But- it really is quite simple to do.
It may cost a little more to do- but it's well worth it in the long run.

I would never ever leave a screed finish in a habitable room.
Asphalt every time --unless a timber floor is practical.

Go for it Jase --you wont regret it--I promise.

Thanks for the advice Peter, I've never done asphalt flooring before, thought it was for driveways lol. Why wouldn't you leave a screed finish in a habitable room? I shall be tiling over the screed anyway. It was bc's diagram that shows the floor construction, concrete would be simpler for me ( and cheaper).dont fancy mixing screed in my mixer, I find it tends to ball up unless you add too much water and distribution of cement is a bit suspect IMO . Hiring a forced action mixer is too much hassle and expensive. Think I'll just have to pull my trousers down and ring ready mix lol.

Go for it Jase --you wont regret it--I promise.

What a load of nonsense. Why you would suggest an asphalt coating to a home extension in 2012 is laughable.

Suggesting it to a DIYer is roll on the floor-able

Exactly why should asphalt be used instead of any other surface coating? What about the longer term issues, including health risks of bitumen in an enclosed space?

You always seem to recommend something which 99.99% of the industry does differently. I don't know why, but the comedy value is priceless

Thanks for the advice Peter, I've never done asphalt flooring before, thought it was for driveways lol. Why wouldn't you leave a screed finish in a habitable room? I shall be tiling over the screed anyway. It was bc's diagram that shows the floor construction, concrete would be simpler for me ( and cheaper).dont fancy mixing screed in my mixer, I find it tends to ball up unless you add too much water and distribution of cement is a bit suspect IMO . Hiring a forced action mixer is too much hassle and expensive. Think I'll just have to pull my trousers down and ring ready mix lol.

Didn't realise you were tiling over it Jase.
Screed or level concrete will be fine for that .
''
You can a very good finish on concrete if you ask for 3/8''s stone in the mix ..
I just dont like a screed finish in a room that is to be carpeted .
I KNOW that's what's done with majority of new housebuilds nowdays - (or a powerfloat finish of concrete).. But- it does not make it a better finish .

Try and ignore the 'health risks' of asphalt/bitumen comment.

I never heard of asphalt being banned !!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back