Concrete kitchen worksurfaces

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've read some great threads on here and other places about kitchen counter tops but have two questions.

For various reasons I'm laying concrete directly onto exisiting counters. Gone perfectly well but I want to finish with a final layer of self levelling compound.

Question 1 - is there any issue with using a latex based compound?

Question 2 - any recommendations for a sealant which I can apply on top and is fine for the kitchen around food etc?

Thanks
Luke

Sponsored Links
Can I ask why you want to do this and will it be the finished surface.
Self levelling compound isn't meant as a finished wearing surface and will probably crack, especially from impacts and I very much doubt you will get the aesthetic look your after

Hi, I've tried several mortar and cement products and whilst finish is ok, they aren't giving the smooth finish I am after.

So hoping levelling compound will.

What would you suggest instead?

Cheers.

Can you not just polish up the surface you have? I have seen it done on TV but never tried it.

Self level would def crack if you tried to cuff it or dropped something on it.

Sponsored Links
You might get more responses in the "Building" forum. As the pinned post at the top of "My Projects" says: "This forum is ONLY for posts about projects you are undertaking with pictures showing how everything looks from start to finish."

To be honest concrete worktops should be cast in a smooth surface mould, your only real choice is to polish them smooth.

Can you not just polish up the surface you have? I have seen it done on TV but never tried it.

Self level would def crack if you tried to cuff it or dropped something on it.
I agree. Self-levelling compound is not a designed as a finished surface. I think you options now are either to remove the concrete or to tile it.

Cheers
Richard

Self levelling will not work. You need to do a search on U Tube and see how to get a good finish on Concrete . Its not hard just time consuming and mind numbingly boring

To be honest concrete worktops should be cast in a smooth surface mould,

That is the best option. The alternative is to cast in place and then while still soft roller the top with a mesh roller which pushes the larger stones down below the surface and allows the small particles to form the surface. Then grind / polish for a few hours to get a smooth working surface.

I have never seen a successful concrete kitchen work surface but have seen two in avant guard houses wth all the latest "must have" features. They didn't last long before being replaced by other work tops.

I have never seen a successful concrete kitchen work surface but have seen two in avant guard houses wth all the latest "must have" features. They didn't last long before being replaced by other work tops.
A concrete surface produces dust all the time, unless it's sealed. Are polished concrete worktops and floors sealed, and if so with what? Does the polishing somehow stop the dusting? Or is it down the the type of concrete mix used?

Cheers
Richard

From failing memory I recall one of the short lived work tops was polished for several hours, almost a day, in the garden before being fitted in place.

Concrete floor ( and our patterned concrete driveway ) are sealed with what appeared to be a latest based material but that would not be acceptable in a food preparation area.

I have seen a very old butchers counter type worktop, seemingly cast upside down in a mould with what appears to be terrazzo (think supermarket floor) surface to it. They must have cast the terrazzo first (does one "cast" terrazzo?) then poured the concrete on top. Then several very strong people lifted it into position. It was about 5 inches thick and 2ftx3ftx5ft L shape! :eek: Well over 100kg worth. Don't know how old it had held up pretty well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back