Concrete lintel repair (need advice)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive got a concrete lintel that has due weather rotted away from the main structure
Pics below : How do i go about repairing it .
I guess treat the rust ,seal the concrete and fill with concrete or concrete gravel mix .Then seal and paint .
Advice on how to do the above and with which products would be highly appreciated .

lintel.jpg

Sponsored Links
You may be able to achieve a cosmetic repair using sharp sand and cement, but this will need support from shuttering set along the bottom edge of the lintel. Don't use large granular material such as ballast, it wont work.

You may also need to plug and screw some stainless screws into the fracture as support dowels to encourage the muck to stay.

I have to say though i do not rate a successful (long lasting) outcome highly.

Thank you for your reply .
i have set about making a wooden support in the shape of the lintel .
This will help it form the correct shape while it settles (mixture of 4/1 of sharp sand and concrete .
Will seal the finished area and then paint .
I have already removed all the loose concrete and sealed the damaged area with pva sealer .
Today i will fix the wooden support in place and apply the concrete .
Will post the results

Sponsored Links
pva is not the best outdoor sealer, but sbr is. ;)

You are better off trying to isolate the metal with a paint or sealer, then lightly damp the concrete before adding the repair mortar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back