Concrete or wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have cut into my ground floor to lay central heating pipes. I have a channel that is about 10 cm wide and 6cm deep which has the pipes in the bottom of. The floor will be retitled with slate tiles. I have been advised to fill the channel with sand for insulation and lay some wood over the top before retiling.

I'm worried the wood my root eventually and cause problems under the tiles. But if I put in a later of concrete that will seal the pipes in for good. Any advice on what to do would be appreciated.

Gavin

Sponsored Links
All the pipework is buried in concrete in floor/walls of the house we are building, which I found a little worrying, but I was assured 'this is the way we always do it'. Ours is plumbed in PVC and galvanised pipe.

Really, how often will you need to access the pipes? I'd bury a little sand around them, for protection, to allow them to move with expansion etc, then fill flush with concrete.

//www.diynot.com/network/Morrisman/albums/9951

Ok So I've decided to leave a layer of sand packed around the pipes and am going to seal with cement. Is there are certain mix for floors bearing in mind I need it to sit flush with the top of the existing floor as its going to be tiled over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back