Condensate Pipe Leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I took a random trip up to my attic today to check on mouse traps....only to find the condensate pipe was disconnected on the boiler....
Luckily, there was a bowl positioned directly underneath which took most of the water, but there was some overflow....

I re-connected it, however, I am not sure if a plumber needs to look at this to make sure everything is okay, does anyone see any possible catastrophes here?

IMG_8397.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Hi, I took a random trip up to my attic today to check on mouse traps....only to find the condensate pipe was disconnected on the boiler....
Luckily, there was a bowl positioned directly underneath which took most of the water, but there was some overflow....

I re-connected it, however, I am not sure if a plumber needs to look at this to make sure everything is okay, does anyone see any possible catastrophes here?

View attachment 272450
A bit of history would be useful. Who set it up like that? Does the re-connected pipe discharge to somewhere appropriate?

A plumber installed the boiler into the attic when we had an extension, the old one was previously in the kitchen, a new boiler, a new location up above....pipe runs outside, down the wall and into the ground..

I'd be looking to clip/support the pipe so this cant happen again, something the installer should have done at the time of fitting.

Sponsored Links
A plumber installed the boiler into the attic when we had an extension, the old one was previously in the kitchen, a new boiler, a new location up above....pipe runs outside, down the wall and into the ground..
Should be OK as long as it falls continuously and it's lagged where outside

Usually with that connector it would be either glued in place or if it's a soft connection a jubilee clip would be used to stop it coming apart.

Is the external pipe larger, say 32mm and does it drop into a soakaway?

try to get a competent one next time, who takes a pride in doing a proper job.

the condensate is slightly acidic and will erode concrete, mortar and limestone, so should not just be dumped beside your house.

If you happen to have a bathroom, kitchen or other drain nearby, that would be preferable anyway

try to get a competent one next time, who takes a pride in doing a proper job.

the condensate is slightly acidic and will erode concrete, mortar and limestone, so should not just be dumped beside your house.

If you happen to have a bathroom, kitchen or other drain nearby, that would be preferable anyway

The following image is from the house I have been working at. The elbow nearest the soil pipe had a very slow drip. You can see where it has started "eating" the concrete. I used some CT1 sealant around the joint to fill the tiny hole.

condensate.jpg

I thought that soakways were supposed to filled with limestone chippings because they are slightly alkali.

Yes, I used to have a neighbour whose flue tilted enough to let condensate drip onto the paving in his yard. I noticed it ate a saucer-shaped hole, with bits of gravel remaining in it, where the concrete slab had been eaten away, similar to your pic.

in my own house I took care to have the boiler adjacent to the plumbing duct, and the condensate pipe connects to the sink waste pipe. All indoors so no fear of freezing.

The following image is from the house I have been working at. The elbow nearest the soil pipe had a very slow drip. You can see where it has started "eating" the concrete. I used some CT1 sealant around the joint to fill the tiny hole.

View attachment 272516

I thought that soakways were supposed to filled with limestone chippings because they are slightly alkali.

Is that a soakaway?

Is that a soakaway?

Not intentionally... fortunately the bulk went in to the soil pipe.

I only posted the image to show the corrosive nature of the condensate.

Worryingly, years ago when we had our boiler fitted the plumber's mate wanted to let the condensate just run in to the fittings. I insisted that he run the pipe out of the house. As far as I know it just runs under our decking and discharges on to the ground. It discharges sufficiently far enough away from the extension footings to prevent me from sleeping at night time. In those days, I was unaware of how corrosive the stuff is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back