Condensate Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Had a new condensing boiler put in my loft (to replace my old combi boiler).

Needed a condensate drain connecting.

The installer attached 22mm overflow pipe to the boiler. This pipe then goes into 32mm pipe which runs outside. As far as I understand, this is correct to use 32mm outside for issues of pipes freezing.

However, the 22mm and 32mm pipes aren't "connected" as such, instead the 22mm pipe "sits inside" the 32mm (hard to explain, please see image).

Is this normal? It seems to me that if the 32mm pipe froze (which is probably very unlikely), then condensate could overspill? Should there be a 22mm > 32mm adapter of some sort instead of simply putting the 22mm inside the 32mm?

Thanks for your advice,
Shockfire.

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
It's fine,gives an air gap as long as the boiler has a condensate trap.

Means should the outside bit freeze at least the boiler will keep running as the condensate will come out the topgivinga clear indication of the fault rather than the boiler just cutting out

It's fine,gives an air gap as long as the boiler has a condensate trap.

Means should the outside bit freeze at least the boiler will keep running as the condensate will come out the topgivinga clear indication of the fault rather than the boiler just cutting out

Absolutely- I've seen too many boilers damaged because of too well sealed condense pipework. It's much easier to mop up a little bit of water if it freezes outside rather than have to pay for new combustion chamber insulation etc.

Also don't think for a minute that 32mm pipework won't freeze- believe me it will, as will 40mm!

The first you will know of the frozen condensate will be when it starts coming through your ceiling.

I would fit a rubber push fit adapter and then if your boiler cuts out due to freezing you will know without causing any damage.

You could then remedy the problem with a trace heater or the like

The first you will know of the frozen condensate will be when it starts coming through your ceiling.

I would fit a rubber push fit adapter and then if your boiler cuts out due to freezing you will know without causing any damage.

I should qualify what i have said- It depends where the boiler is sited. Consideration should always be taken as to what ALL posible outcomes might cause. For example- many installers pop the condense pipe into the nearest rainwater downpipe not understanding that should the said rainwater pipe become blocked with leaves etc and there is a flash flood not only the boiler will be damaged ( gasvalve, fan, ceramics, poss. pcb) but the water then spews out of the boiler and through the ceiling). I've seen this twice now on first floor installations and once in the kitchen of an empty property where somebody came to view and found 2" of water on the kitchen floor!!

I should qualify what i have said- It depends where the boiler is sited. Consideration should always be taken as to what ALL posible outcomes might cause. For example- many installers pop the condense pipe into the nearest rainwater downpipe not understanding that should the said rainwater pipe become blocked with leaves etc and there is a flash flood not only the boiler will be damaged ( gasvalve, fan, ceramics, poss. pcb) but the water then spews out of the boiler and through the ceiling). I've seen this twice now on first floor installations and once in the kitchen of an empty property where somebody came to view and found 2" of water on the kitchen floor!!

:rolleyes: With an air gap in the condense pipe on the above at least the boilers would not have been damaged! :LOL:

There are alarms you can get to warn you of frozen condensate and also you can get non return valves for the pipe

My own opinion would be as I have said, but then I do mainly install and have not had to deal with damaged boilers due to condensate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back