Condensate pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Without getting in a debate can anyone tell me if my siphon is piped correctly wb combi boiler

Many thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 291
Sponsored Links
:confused: am i seeing right its going into flush pipe surely there is a better solution:LOL: who did the piping ??????? new one on me

Would never do it that way personally. Can't think of a reason why it would be wrong on a technical level, but it looks shyte.

Assuming the boiler is above the cistern lid, then it has an air break.

yes the boiler is higher up. it was fitted by a corgi engineer in 2009 so been done a while. i undid it and unblocked it as having issues with my siphon trap. just seems a barmy way of doing it.

i always wondered why my toilet the enamel has come off near where the water comes out is it linked

Sponsored Links
When the toilet is flushed there will be pressure changes in the flush pipe. These changes could be negative enough to suck water out of the condensate syphon thus un-sealing the combustion chamber's room seal. Is it worth the risk ?

thanks all. i noticed for the first time it dumping it down the toilet.

you are also right when flushing the toilet it is affecting the pressure or the level in the syphon tube.

i have no idea why they have done it like this as the wall is right there to the outside.

ill get someone to come and have a look.

the only saving grace is i never had a frozen pipe this winter lol so need to sort it so it doesnt freeze in winter

just don't know why he didn't route to outside ( probably never had drill bit ), shocking, just keep the pipework to the minimum when routing outside and terminated properly.
you can also insulate the plastic outside with decent insulation to save freezing .
tbh i don't think the toilet would syphon all water out of syphon trap for it to be dangerous , if it did it would allow flue gases to enter the home but it would be prudent to get it checked and re-install the pipework to outside . i bet your toilet is stained to hell as well.

Compared to the ph of what you are otherwise putting in the bowl, I can't really see a problem from that perspective.

Admittedly, it is a real bodge and is not a recognised solution - but I can't see any benefit in moving it 7 years later.

i had a customer who had condense terminating into a basin and it made a mess regarding staining

thanks all. new siphon fitted with no leaks.
we didnt replace the piping for now once my grandad has more time hes going to reroot the piping for me. he was just laughing when he saw it. (he lives hours away so isnt around every day)
fingers crossed boiler seems to be working ok. its reacting to the turn of the temp dial instantly now wheres before it was very slow to respond if not at all.

just as a heads up boiler working fine but couldnt stop the pipe joint at the bottom leaking even with solvent cement.

we decided to simplify the piping (its only a toilet at the end of the day and to get rid of most of the bends)

noticed after just one week the crap stuck in the corners of the old pipe no wonder it was blocking

the bit that went into the clamp on the toilet kept leaking too so brought another one to find it was exactly the same

scratching my head i brought new connectors and new pipe. the old pipe must not have been compatable with the fittings they used as the fit was poor.

the new fittings with the new pipe fitted tight even without welding and the toilet adaptor has tightened up perfect

now its 15c probably dont need the heating but need to look at a soakaway outside as no drain this side of the house.

Attachments

• 13105944_10153988032646413_111140324_o.jpg
    13105944_10153988032646413_111140324_o.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 135
I don't know why you have been spending so much time on a not very good solution when the better way to spend time would be to route it outside.

If taking condensate to the outside you are supposed to take it through a big tube of chalk or marble chippings to neutralise the acid.

There is also a small device to do the same thing designed to be used internally but they have a limited lifetime before needing replacement.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back