Condensation in back boiler flue sensor

As far as I am aware an exemption was granted for back boilers from April 2005 when condensing boilers were required.

But that might have been for a limited period of perhaps two years.

So fitting a BBU this year may not have met the Building Regulations.

Tony

That irrelevant to the question Tony and not our problem.

Sponsored Links
Was a new copex liner fitted at same time, by the way you do not check a flue is working by using a smoke bomb.
And do not put a longer bit of silicone in,, fix the actual fault

Ok, technically not meeting building regs, but not the greatest crime in the world. Still more efficient and safer than the old unit and for £200...........

When it failed the auto igniter unit sparks as dictated by the programmer but no gas is turned on. After around 10 secs of trying the unit gives up and the red reset light is activated. Blowing out the flue sensor tube resolved the issue but probably will happen again?

Gas is there butafety device is doing its job andnot allowing it to light.
Needs investigating by someone compotent

Sponsored Links
Well I checked today to see exactly what the problem was. Evidentaly it did this once a month ago, the 1st time the HW was used, they then tried the heating about 10 days ago and it failed again.

What I didn't realise at the time is that the boiler, since being commisioned in April, has only been used twice, they were using the emersion heater over the summer and the last month or so.

Any way as said the condensation was cleared and I'm told it's switching normally over the last week.

It is a very warm bungalow, the main heat source being coal, maybe that caused the condensation issue as the flue was never getting used for it's own boiler so never hot enough to dry out, just exhausting from the house as a whole?.

If it runs fine from now on, ok, but any repeat and I'll get someone in.

Thanks for the useful advice. ;)

Well I checked today to see exactly what the problem was. Evidentaly it did this once a month ago, the 1st time the HW was used, they then tried the heating about 10 days ago and it failed again.

It seems this is a tenanted property then?

It seems rather risky to let a property which has had the wrong type of boiler fitted by a non gas qualified person.

You dont comply with the Building Regulations but I do hope you have complied with the Gas Safety law that says you need a Landlords Gas Safety Certificate !

Tony

its all coming out now......................
I suspect the fault is not condensation and is just a boiler fault, as these boilers are quite known for it. There is a simple thing to try which may prevent it, but you would need to remove the fire first to access the boiler. If you get your Gas engineer to post in the CC i will tell him what to look out for.

You guys crack me up, not. How you make guesses like that seems to be an afliction of certain types.

What part of this gives you the right to make assumptions the way you have?

Shoot me down in flames if you like but please expect a suitable response.

To make things clear, this is not a rented property. It happens to belong to my mother. She, and my younger brother live in it at present.

The boiler was installed by a work colleague (I was his boss),as a personal favour to me, and as he was corgi, or whatever it is now, registered,he did the one for one swap. Unfortunately he's gone to the corgi resthome in the sky, so I can't check this out with him

Building regs, not a safety as far as I'm concerned, and not the problem I asked about.

When I say I checked, I mean I grilled them about what had actually happened? The boiler had simply not been used after being installed and tested, thats a result of free coal etc

What have I done so far, checked the system out visually, cleared what was clearly condensation and asked for advice, usually the best option rather than leave yourself open to the ways of some strange guy who arrives at your door with a credit card machine in hand. You guys know they exist, thats why folks doubt the real ones. Asking on such as here at least gets a consensus of opinion, (along with a fair share of criticism).

No I'm not corgi etc, but have just retired from a life in industry. I was the chief mechanical and electrical engineer for 2 large factories within the company group. We had the responsibility for the maintenance of all the factory services. Steam heating, process steam supplies, gas fired blown hot air heating, compressed air etc. We commonly worked on gas installations.
Were we corgi registered, (with the exception of the guy previously mentioned), NO. We didn't have to be. Because we were working within a unit or units covered by the factories act, and thus having to have public liability insurance, corgi did not apply. I know this as I contacted corgi registrations personally to gain this info. Our insurers judged us to be competant.

Of course that gives me no cover outside the works, but it does mean I am acutely aware of the requirements, have a reasonable working knowledge of most things energy use wise. As already stated I will get someone in if the problem resurfaces, I actually don't think it will, but if it does I was simply asking for some insider info from you chappies to ensure we don't get turned over ;)

Hope that is a little clearer to those actually trying to help :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back