Condensation/ insulation question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi newbie here looking for advice.

I had a new pvc conservatory erected on an existing single brick dwarf wall. One large wall between my garden and the neighbours is double thickness. The company who erected it suggested I paint the wall internally with a bitumen type paint to damp proof it then dot n dab insulated plasterboard. I painted 3 coats as directed on the tin and once dry I dot n dabbed the insulation board along with hammer fixings then had a plaster skim the walls. As expected lots of condensation as the plaster dried out. Its been two weeks and plaster seems to have dried nicely and all condensation on windows and roof has cleared. The problem i have is on the single brick dwarf walls, condensation still builds up and runs down the wall in the small void created by the adhesive and pools on the floor. Ive not fitted skirting or window ledge yet.

Now for my questions

1. If i fit the skirting and ledges creating a void of none moving air, will this prevent the condensation as the air in the void will be different temperature to the inside temp and the out temp?

Or

2. Could I squirt expanding foam into the small void created by the adhesive in the hope the thicker wall with no void prevent the condensation?

Or

3. Neither of the above and do something completely different that hopefully someone on here will tell me.

Thanks in advance
Colin

Attachments

• IMG_6558.JPG
    IMG_6558.JPG
    195.2 KB · Views: 90
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 122
Sponsored Links
Don't dry your washing in the conservaotry :)

(Which wall has the insulated plasterboard? Can't see it in the photo.)

Ill tell her not too, lol.

Its all the dwarf walls plus the thick wall to the right hand side between me and the neighbour.

Attachments

• IMG_8531.JPG
    IMG_8531.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_8530.JPG
    IMG_8530.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Do the same trick on the single brick walls, using a slightly thicker insulation, and then get some plastic window ledge to cover it.

Sponsored Links
That would mean removing the existing plasterboard and starting again, i was hoping to avoid that if possible

Protocol78, good evening.

One idea, is to keep the door from the Conservatory to the house CLOSED at all times.

Why? because it will stop warm DAMP air getting into the Conservatory and causing condensation.

As above thicker insulation, trickle vents, and isolate the area.

Ken.

I getting my driveway block paved and the guy also does building work, so i asked him what he thought. He thinks it might be sweating as the cavity is only about 10mm. He said try filling the gap with expanding foam but that might bring the condensation in on to the plaster. Failing that if would be to build a small stud wall with a larger gap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back