Confirm neutral wire in lighting circuit junction box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'd like to know how to confirm the wiring in a junction box. The wiring looks like the second diagram on this page:

http://www.flameport.com/electric/lighting_circuits/lighting_junction_boxes.cs4

I'd like to run a spur from this junction box through the ceiling and down to a switch, then along the wall to a light, and back.

So, I should take live and neutral from the junction box over to the switch. How do I confirm that I make the right connections? I have confirmed the live, but how do I confirm the neutral?

Thanks,

Dan

Sponsored Links
In the diagram you linked, the neutrals will be the two (or more) blue (or black) wires in the same terminal.

Or, did you mean how to test electrically?

In the diagram you linked, the neutrals will be the two (or more) blue (or black) wires in the same terminal.

Or, did you mean how to test electrically?

Yep, how to test electrically? I've read online that I should use my multimeter to check for 240v between live and neutral (with power on, and lights switched off). Is that correct?

Sponsored Links
A voltage tester pen is useless in this situation. They can lie, or mislead you as they can pick up stray, adjacent or induced voltages.
You need a multimeter, or other type of two probe test device.

Test between earth and a red first to find your live and switched live.

Then check between the (confirmed) live and the black to confirm it is indeed the neutral.

A voltage tester pen is useless in this situation. They can lie, or mislead you as they can pick up stray, adjacent or induced voltages.
You need a multimeter, or other type of two probe test device.

Test between earth and a red first to find your live and switched live.

Then check between the (confirmed) live and the black to confirm it is indeed the neutral.

Yes, I know that. But I'm asking for confirmation that to confirm the neutral, I should look for 240v between live and neutral.

Yes that's right.
Although, it will almost certainly be a neutral, if the junction box is wired as Flameport's diagram!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back