Confused about installing a sliding lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

so, I have a couple of these locks to install but may not be this actual lock, just one very similar…

so, I am installing this on a double door opening outwards. This lock will bolt into the frame point up.

due to the shape of the lock, I cant secure it by twisting the bold clockwise or anti-clockwise.

an I doing something wrong or just how this works or what?

the lock pointing down is no problem really, as gravity won’t effect the lock.

Sponsored Links
That bolt looks to be for horizontal mounting only to me, I do not see the gated shoulders that would allow it to work vertically

Yeah, that is what I was thinking last night, but the website clearly says

Features & benefits​

• For interior use
  • Fixings included
  • Simple locking system
  • Can be installed horizontally and vertically
I can confirm that the bolts I got are these ones.

I looked closely at the larger pictures on the wickes site, yes it does have the shoulders, but, when you turn the bolt 90 degrees to engage the latching part for vertical use the bolt pin will move the door/panel by the amount of the offset/upset of the bolt itself? doesnt make any sense to me either.

Sponsored Links
Hello, so I originally brought 2 straight bolt locks that cost about £12 each, I can’t remember what brand, but I believe I got it from Toolstation, anyway, there is not enough material for the locks to actually be secure, this is why I went with the cheaper already owned neck bolt lock, so… instead of spending more money on this, would a simple 1 inch buffer block be a better idea, or would this still be weak?

It can be used vertically , but not upside down , you need a sprung bolt to prevent it falling open .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back