Confused and had enough

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Is it just me or is this planning and building regulations thing a nightmare?

So had some plans drawn, got permission, got building regs done, including all structural calculations, now asking for estimates for builders and each one is questioning the use and construction of the steel work within the house and planned extension.

I realise that everyone will approach building from a different angle, with different experiences but each builder has different queries and opinions on the building works.

Does this happen to everyone, I find it even more frustrating as I don't understand the rules and regs.

Anyone have any experience of this? Any opinions on the best course of action?

Thanks

Neil

Sponsored Links
You say you’ve got “building regs done” but what does that mean exactly, did you do a full plans submission including the calculations or have you just submitted calculations & paid a Building Notice fee?

What type of extension is it & what are the steelwork & calculations for? Are the builders implying you could have problems when it comes to inspection or are they saying there is an easier/cheaper way of doing it?

Hi,

Full plans submission, so include everything including internal finish.

It's an extension to the rear of our bungalow, including removal of chimneys and supporting Walls and hip to gable conversion.

The builders are saying many different things, including, you don't need this many steels, why are there steels resting on lintels, this is a very expensive way of doing this etc etc.

It's not up to the builders to comment on the work ... although in some cases it may be useful.

Normally you give the builders the approved plans and say "build this as per the drawings" and that is it, they quote you and build it to the drawings.

It really is that simple

It may be that you have engaged a crap designer and he has designed it to suit himself and for ease of getting the plans passed. In which case, you should revert back to him to ask him why his design is so costly to build when there may be cheaper alternatives available

Sponsored Links
This happens all the time and I had it on a current project. My roof design included (necessarily) a couple of steels. The builder told my client 'you don't need those and it would be quicker and cheaper to do it in timber'. I suggested to client that he goes with the builders suggestion but first make sure the builder accepts responsibility for the design and also gets a copy of his PI Insurance. The result was; won't do and don't have - in that order. So it's back to my design.

My advice in your case is to ask your builders to quote as designed but also price their suggested alternatives separately. You can then compare and see exactly what the cost difference is. (I'll have a side bet it's not that much) Then check the alternatives with your designer and ask if there is any reason why you should not adopt them. If they are reasonable alternatives and significantly cheaper and the designer just missed them he ought to make the changes for you free of charge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back