Confused by FCU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While removing a cupboard I have uncovered a switched FCU with no fuse (not sure what it's called then). It's attached to the skirting board and inside is a single 2.5mm² cable (bare earth) which when tested with a neon screwdriver is live. The cable appears from below the floor so I've not been able to trace its origin. Is it safe to leave it?

Sponsored Links
Dave. when you say FCU with no fuse, do you mean it is an FCU that the fuse has been removed from, or there is nowhere to insert a fuse?

If the latter one, then it is likely to be a 20A Double Pole switch.

Never trust a Neon screwdriver as an indicator of voltage. Test it with a proper tester that reads voltage so you know it has 230V at the terminals.

If the Earth is not sleaved, I would suggest you sleeve it, then put the faceplate back and leave it..but don't rebury it behind another cupboard!!

Sorry - the fuse has been removed. So it's an FCU with the fuse missing and it's not powering anything! Is it allowed to be fixed to the skirting at floor level?

not ideal having it screwed to the skirting but if its protected by a cupboard or similar i don't see any real risk of damage.

The single cable is most likely a spur from the socket cuircuit. The fcu was most likely used to power some item of fixed equipment that has since been removed. There is no problem with leaving a fCU like this.

Sponsored Links
plugwash said:
not ideal having it screwed to the skirting but if its protected by a cupboard or similar i don't see any real risk of damage.

Plug, not advisable to be telling people it is OK to hide things behind cupboards, this should not be done, especially in domestic premises.

Dave, an alternative to the FCU faceplate would be to change it for a single gand socket outlet.

I think Dave should ascertain what circuit it's on before replacing the FCU with a socket, and trace the cable to make sure that it's not already off a spur.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back