Running a dual socket from single FCU?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I got a cable running into an airing cupboard in which I want to install a network switch and AC/DC adapter for a camera. The cable 2.5mm runs direct from consumer unit which is wired to a 16A fuse in the CU. Currently cable just terminates into a switch that I assume was used to power the old boiler.

I want to add a dual socket and a FCU as a safety measure.

Would wiring shown below be ok? Can you supply double docket from a single FCU?
Wiring.png

Thank you

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
There is no point in a 13A FCU however you may need a RCD FCU if there is not already a RCD on the CU supply. If you want protection for camera and switch then fit a fuse in the plug. If you want to be able to switch both off together all you need is 20A switch.

The is no harm using a FCU but in most cases a 16A MCB will trip before a 13A fuse, and if you really do have a fuse in the distribution unit, then likely no RCD so you will need a RCD FCU as that is easiest way to RCD protect new cables and sockets.

Thanks ericmark. CU already has a RCD (I updated the picture to reflect that).
So just add the double socket and not worry about the FCU?

Sponsored Links
I'm not suggesting you do this, but for people who view this thread in the future, the radial circuit attached to that 16A MCB (or it could be a 20A MCB) can feed more than one socket without the need for an FCU to fuse down to 13A.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back