Lighting from FCU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am redecorating our conservatory. Sockets are on a 2.5mm ring. Have a light switch, FCU and double socket next to each other.

It appears that the lighting circuit is not connected to FCU for when I remove fuse the lights remain on. I can sort this once I get around to removing some units.

Question: should the cabling from FCU to lights be 2.5mm (as they are now) or be reduced to 1mm / 1.5mm?

Secondly, if I need to - to avoid recabling or extending the circuit with more cable - is permissible / bad practice to crimp terminals within the back box of a switch? the neutrals as in diagram below:
View media item 26233 [/img]

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Its not bad practise to crimp in back of a box - where else are you going to do it? :confused:

And if its in 2.5, its ok. Its overrated, but this isnt a bad thing.

It appears that the lighting circuit is not connected to FCU for when I remove fuse the lights remain on. I can sort this once I get around to removing some units..

Maybe the lighting is on the lighting circuit and fused at the main board / CU.

Maybe the fused spur does something else- have you an external light in the vicinity ?

Without full inspection it's hard to say, but f/spurs for lights tend to be in areas of the house that the lighting circuit wasn't available / accessible to use.

Double check please and post your findings.

Am redecorating our conservatory. Sockets are on a 2.5mm ring. Have a light switch, FCU and double socket next to each other.
If you replace the FCU with a switched one you can get rid of the switch, if you want.

It appears that the lighting circuit is not connected to FCU for when I remove fuse the lights remain on. I can sort this once I get around to removing some units.
Are they on the socket circuit, or the lighting one?

Question: should the cabling from FCU to lights be 2.5mm (as they are now) or be reduced to 1mm / 1.5mm?
It might be easier to get smaller conductors into the light fittings.

Secondly, if I need to - to avoid recabling or extending the circuit with more cable - is permissible / bad practice to crimp terminals within the back box of a switch?
Fine.

Use one like this:

DVDHCR15.JPG

not one of these:

mediaa543490cl2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thank you so much for swift replies.

Yes, there is also an external light.

Live out to exterior light in correct position in FCU. Interior light live out connected together with live in on FCU by previous owner!

Yes, I quite agree about ratchet crimpers!

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back