Confused by screws - wanting to get kitted out

Sponsored Links
I'd go further and say don't believe the hype about impact drivers!

I prefer my drill driver unless I'm *******ing up big screws or nuts and bolts but if it is N&Bs I usually use my 1/2 drive wrench anyway and that just blows screw heads to bits.

I find there's more refinement and even enjoyment with the drill driver. Impact drivers are good for trigger pumping apes who can't understand a sprag clutch.

I find there's more refinement and even enjoyment with the drill driver. Impact drivers are good for trigger pumping apes who can't understand a sprag clutch.
Thank you so much for that description - not sure if I should feel insulted or flattered (after all if only I had muscles like those.....), but then I have an intelligent multispeed impact driver which can handle stuff like TEK screws, etc TBH, though, for DIY work a drill/driver should suffice

I found the screws I use by far the most are:

3.5x16
4x25
4x30
4x40
4x50

I buy 200-packs of each and see how long they last.

I've recently added 4x60, 4.5x70, 4.5x80 & 5x100 to my stock, but that was for a specific couple of jobs.

For bolts, I'd just buy what you need when you need, but each time get a few extra, to build a little stock up.

Sponsored Links
Thank you so much for that description - not sure if I should feel insulted or flattered (after all if only I had muscles like those.....), but then I have an intelligent multispeed impact driver which can handle stuff like TEK screws, etc TBH, though, for DIY work a drill/driver should suffice

I've never quite understood this angst about impact drivers, it's not as if, on a decent one at least, the switch is a binary on off affair. As I've said before, I happily put flat pack together with one, which admittedly is a little inadvisable.

I'd go for a turbogold trade case.

I ususally use my combi drill but I also use an impact driver - Impact drivers have their uses so if you're getting one I'd definitely get a Wera Impaktor Tri-Torsion Bit Holder - they're not cheap but will save your bits. I've got a selection of wera and dewalt impact bits that all do pretty well.

Certainly shouldn't feel insulted. I have three myself; but it's much easier for said apes to pump the trigger on an impact and let the tension in the spring be taken up rather than over tightening with a drill driver and shearing off the head.

Comes down to experience - there was a time when an impact driver would cop a funny look on site.

pulowskipropertymaintenance_Bvxq7AOANkr.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Generally below 4mm diameter is PZ1 though Spax 3.5 has a PZ 2 head which resists being chewed up better than a PZ 1

I have never come across a 3.5mm screw that was a PZ1. The largest PZ1 screw head that I have experienced is a 3mm screw.

I want to get set up with a proper collection of screws (and to a lesser extent, other fittings like bolts and so on) as I'm tired of bodging with the best 4 screws I can find lying around. But when I come to do so, I'm drowning in so many different types and options and sizes and lengths. And because it's SO much more expensive to buy a small number, I'm put off buying a big pack only to realise they're a size that isn't much use. Had that before where I got some chunky screws only to realise they split the wood, or the ones I bought were too long and poked through the back, etc!

I wondered if anyone might suggest a 'shopping list' of sorts to get set up... most useful sizes, what type to get (single/double-thread/etc). I don't do a huge amount, a mix of inside and outside DIY tasks, so maybe I want 1000-2000 in total, what would you get?

I've seen you can buy sets but looking on Screwfix I was faced with about 5 seemingly identical sets and I have no idea the differences between those either.

Never thought something as simple as screws could get so tricky!
B & Q "pick & mix"

Yep, turbo gold multipack. Either in a trade case or buy your own. Then just top up screws as you need them. 1 1/2" 8s will go in no time!

Years ago I just ordered a load of screws of all sizes without really thinking. I got some 1/2" 8s and laughed my ar5e off when they arrived..... Looked like little parsnips. Still have them to this day..... God knows what I'll use them for.

Yep, turbo gold multipack. Either in a trade case or buy your own. Then just top up screws as you need them. 1 1/2" 8s will go in no time!

Years ago I just ordered a load of screws of all sizes without really thinking. I got some 1/2" 8s and laughed my ar5e off when they arrived..... Looked like little parsnips. Still have them to this day..... God knows what I'll use them for.

When building my garage about 18 years ago, I did something similar. I purchased about 5 boxes of each screw size that I thought might be useful. I still have 5 boxes of 3.5*16 screws and the same amount of 3.0*30.

I got some 1/2" 8s and laughed my ar5e off when they arrived..... Looked like little parsnips. Still have them to this day..... God knows what I'll use them for.
We used to use that sort of size for those 2-colour phenolic plastic sign plates you used to find in factories, etc. They required a bigger screw head than thin steel or aluminium kick plates, but were only 1/8 to 3/16in thick, so #8 x 1/2in or 5/8in were good, Other than that, though.......

I still have 5 boxes of 3.5*16 screws and the same amount of 3.0*30.
I could tell you where to send them........ Earlier this year did a job where we needed to repair and overclad a Victorian planked floor with 9mm plywood. Main contractor was down to supply the materials. When the material arrived there were 35 sheets of plywood to clad the floor (it was getting vinyl, so needed to be screwed at 150mm centres) and the astounding quantity of two boxes of 3.5 x16mm screws. The responsible "construction manager" (I use the term advisedly) could get her head around the fact that they were (a) too short and (b) slightly too few........ - even after I'd run through the requirements with her 3 or 4 times. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back