Confused **Now with pics**

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help......

I have a light switch problem ! which go's like this i have a 3 way switch in my hall and a single switch in my garage.

I can switch my garage light on with the switch in the hall way but can't switch it off with the switch in the garage.

If i switch off the light from the hall switch i can switch the light on with the garage switch, but if i switch the light off from the garage i can't switch it back on from the hall switch.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards

Graham

Sponsored Links
Help......

I have a light switch problem ! which go's like this i have a 3 way switch in my hall and a single switch in my garage.

I can switch my garage light on with the switch in the hall way but can't switch it off with the switch in the garage.

If i switch off the light from the hall switch i can switch the light on with the garage switch, but if i switch the light off from the garage i can't switch it back on from the hall switch.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards
Graham
Has this suddenly happended?
Or have you changed a switch or altered the wiring in someway?
I take it you mean a 3 gang switch in the hallway and one gang switch in the garage.
It does sound as if you or someone else has rewired the switches incorrectly - did you make a note of the which conductor went were?
If not - photographs would help and you may need to obtain a multi meter and understand how to use it.

Try this link to WIKI
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:two_way_lighting

As posted in previous post has the switch always operated like this or has there been some work done on the circuit? (ie switch change)
And picture often do help, so if the WIKI link does not help solve your problem, if you can upload some pictures of the cables and terminals within the switches, that may help us give you the correct guidance.

Sponsored Links
Most likely from the symptoms, one of your two-way light switches have failed on one contact (not switching common to either L1 - or L2)

There is a procedural way to find the faulty switch but frankly you might as well buy a two way switch (because you will need it anyway) and try it in both positions. - I assume you have an intermediate switch somewhere too? This switch will probably be OK.

OK, just noticed that you probably do not have an intermediate switch so forget that.

You may need to buy two switches - a three gang and a single gang. Both should be "two-way" If you do not want to do that then come back on here for the procedure to indentify the specific fault.

I have a spare single gang, not sure if it's a "two way" though. How can i tell ?

Cheers

Look at the back of it.

You will see

Common - L1 - L2

or

L1 - L2 - L3

Make sure there are physical brass/metal connections in each because often they use a two-way switch form factor for a one-way switch but there will be no connector in the L2 or L3 depending on what variant you have.

Sparkticus

Thanks very much i will change the switch over at the weekend, hopefully that will cure my problem.

Graham

You haven't been hammering nails / putting screws in anywhere have you?

Just before you change the switch - with the power off - rapidly flick the switch several times - sometimes these things have a habit of sticking.

you may find that one of the conductors has popped out of the terminal - just pop it back in!

SB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back