How did I get this wrong?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a two gang switch in the garage which controls both the garage flourescent light and a light in the vestibule next the garage. the vestibule light in the ceiling is also controlled by a one gang two way switch in the hall next the vestibule. The garage light switch was very stiff especially for my mrs so I decided to replace it. It had just two wires, one black and the other yellow, the other "way" being empty. The other gang in that switch had two red wires one of which was in the COM and a blue in the other "way". Now that I have replaced the two gang, it does not behave as the original did i.e. allowing the vestibule light to be controlled by either of the switches and I have to have the hall switch in a particular position for the garage flourescent to come on. I should add that the hall switch has a yellow in the COM, two reds in one way and a blue and a black in the other way. What did I get wrong?

Sponsored Links
There is a two gang switch in the garage which controls both the garage flourescent light and a light in the vestibule next the garage. the vestibule light in the ceiling is also controlled by a one gang two way switch in the hall next the vestibule. The garage light switch was very stiff especially for my mrs so I decided to replace it. It had just two wires, one black and the other yellow, the other "way" being empty. The other gang in that switch had two red wires one of which was in the COM and a blue in the other "way". Now that I have replaced the two gang, it does not behave as the original did i.e. allowing the vestibule light to be controlled by either of the switches and I have to have the hall switch in a particular position for the garage flourescent to come on. I should add that the hall switch has a yellow in the COM, two reds in one way and a blue and a black in the other way. What did I get wrong?
Are you reading the switch terminals, as people do, as top and bottom rather than, as you should, two triangles.

The Yellow should go in COM in the garage switch as well.

Picture please.

1714399933308.png

Thanks for reply. The picture on the left is what I have in the single two way in the hall except that there are two reds in one way not one and the other "way" has a blue and a black in it. I don't recognise the picture on the right at all - I will reiterate that one of the two gangs in the garage has a red in COM another red in one "way" and a blue in the other "way"; it is supposed to control the vestibule light as well as the single two way switch the hall.

The garage light switch was very stiff especially for my mrs so I decided to replace it. It had just two wires, one black and the other yellow, the other "way" being empty. The other gang in that switch had two red wires one of which was in the COM and a blue in the other "way".
Is that not what I drew assuming you were reading the terminals incorrectly - top and bottom?

Post pictures of the wiring.

With two-way switching, i.e. two switches operating one light, the same colour wire must go to the COM terminals in both switches.

Sponsored Links
That sounds about right EFL I have put the yellow in the wrong COM (the one for the garage flourescent which of course only needs a single two way solution as it has no three plate rose) so will try it in the morn and report back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back