Confused of lighting circuit.....Please Help!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have replaced a light fitting from my living room. The light had a dimmer which I replaced with a standard two way swith. On replacing the fitting a noted the wire locations and fitted the new fitting to the ceiling. ( 5 wires in , all reds blocked , all blacks blocked , earths blocked and the switch wired located ).

On refitting and checking the light worked. Until I switched the dining room light. The both lights came on but flickered in doing so and once settled the living room light dimmed considerably.

There are five lights in the circuit and the living room light on works fully when switched alone.

I am real confused as to why this is happening.
Can anyone advise me what to do?

Any advice will be much appreciated

Thanks

Stu

Sponsored Links
Bad connection most probably,

Remove the switch and light fitting re check ALL connections, even the ones that you didn't make, they might just want a tighten.

Ah, miss read the question. Yeah, Holmslaw, if both lights come on, could be a borrowed neutral,

Before working on the light, isolate the other lighting circuits to just to be on safe side. Borrowed neutrals can nip your hand a bit if you dont know they are there!!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies, ok now it is a very old fuse board. One fuse for all the lights.

Could anyone help - in simple terms how on earth to locate this borrowed neutral and............what on earth can I do to sort this out.

yours hopefully ( desperately )

stu

stooeygee said:
One fuse for all the lights.
If all the lights are on one fuse then it won't be borrowed neutral (well not from the lighting circuit anyway).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back