Confused

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
May I have your advice please?

I've two quotes from two reputable local companies for 4 Duraflex or $ Liniar windows.

The liniar quote is £500 cheaper but are Duraflex windows £500 better ?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Most systems are much of a muchness now and no system is head and shoulders above the rest, having said that from a fitters point of view there are favourites and liniar is one of mine, duraflex is one of my least favourite, I don't like the colour either, assuming your talking about white it has a blue hue to it like an ice white, I prefer the creamier type warm whites

You've probably heard it said it's all in the fitting, a poor window fitted well is loads better than a good window that's been thrown in, ask for examples of recent installations, look for reviews, Facebook is a good way of checking

As above not much in the makes but I prefer the moldings/look of the Liniar windows.

And yes it really is in the fitting

Most systems are much of a muchness now and no system is head and shoulders above the rest, having said that from a fitters point of view there are favourites and liniar is one of mine, duraflex is one of my least favourite, I don't like the colour either, assuming your talking about white it has a blue hue to it like an ice white, I prefer the creamier type warm whites

You've probably heard it said it's all in the fitting, a poor window fitted well is loads better than a good window that's been thrown in, ask for examples of recent installations, look for reviews, Facebook is a good way of checking

Thanks Crank39 for your help. I'm actualy looking at Irish oak colour with astragal beading as the property is 300 yr old.

Sponsored Links
Irish oak very nice, i prefer English oak but again it's a preference thing.

Seeing as its going into a 300 yr old house have you seen residence9 profile, it's made for job, not cheap though

Irish Oak is a good choice as is Astragal bars.

Ask to see a sample window with the Astragals though as some factory's use hideous joiners where the bars meet the frame and some are properly scribed.

Irish oak very nice, i prefer English oak but again it's a preference thing.

Seeing as its going into a 300 yr old house have you seen residence9 profile, it's made for job, not cheap though

Haha I was tempted to mention R9 too. Great minds etc...

Seeing as I've got some time on my hands at the moment I spent a few days helping a mate fit some R9 windows, it's funny really - I loved the look so much I didn't want to stop fitting them, kept standing back and admiring

Haha I was tempted to mention R9 too. Great minds etc...

Cheers Gents

I'M going to show how little of the terminology I know now.

I had looked at the R9 but I think that the centre piece going down is thicker (wider) than ond other windows. Due to the age of the house we need as much light as possible coming in.

The windows I took out over 25 yrs ago were similar to the R9 though.

Are they expencive in comparison to normal casement windows? Are you talking 50% extra ?

Thanks again

Hard to say as Irish Oak has a slight premium price too. A white R9 is appox twice the price of a standard white window.
So probably 50-75% more

To be fair r7 and r9 are a really close look to timber from close up. We just got a r7 job in a conversation area

"
To be fair r7 and r9 are a really close look to timber from close up. We just got a r7 job in a conversation area

Yes, they are nice but, at 200 extra per window It might be cheaper to get wooden windows.

But then you need to stain them every 2 years if your south facing, pvc is just a wipe over with a damp cloth, from the street you'd be hard pushed to tell whether it's pvc or timber r9 is that good

I find R9 windows are around the price of cheap softwood windows and I have seen those rot out in under a year (didn't help that the customer didn't put a top coat of paint on!).

I have fitted a few hundred timber windows. Pine, Oak, Idigbo, Iroko, Mahogany.
Mahogany is the only ones I have never had issues with but I don't think modern timber is upto the job. They are not really suitable for double glazed units (constantly braking down) and they are not really suitable for modern multipoint locking.
They warp, twist, bow, expand and shrink too much. Nothing but problems.

PVC all day long gets my vote

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back