Confused

I agree with chappers. It's a travesty to put plastic windows in a 300 year old house.

Sponsored Links
"
To be fair r7 and r9 are a really close look to timber from close up. We just got a r7 job in a conversation area

Yes, they are nice but, at 200 extra per window It might be cheaper to get wooden windows.

Timber windows are dearer than r9
R9 are roughly the price of Ali windows

Sponsored Links
If you like the look of flush casements take a look at Eurocell modus

Modus look good in a colour (I especially like Teak) but I don't like them white on the inside.
All the gaskets stand out and the beads look awful in white. Looks great outside but inside only looks good colored in my opinion.

All these fake wood coloured plastic windows look just that - fake. The only unpainted wooden windows in the English vernacular were oak, which ages to grey. And is real. These garish brown plastic windows don't suit any house.

There is no doubting that modern materials have their place and their benefits, but surely there is a place for tradition even with all of it's idosyncracies.
I have just replaced all the sashes in my house with new double glazed, wooden box sashes, they weren't cheap and I probably could have replaced them with PVC for less than half the cost or with PVC casements for a quarter. But the bottom line is they just don't look right and people do notice and have commented on them.
The last lot had lasted since 1897, but were single glazed and been repaired one time too many, I do wonder how these pvc windows are going to hold up, look and perform 120 years after installation.
The non maintenance, just wipe down benefit they have is their long term downfall as when they start to discolour and break down their is nothing you can do but replace them.

I do wonder how these pvc windows are going to hold up, look and perform 120 years after installation.
They won't be there in 120 years time. They won't be there in 25, which is as long as they are designed to last, if you're lucky. They are a disposable consumer item. The person putting them in knows they won't have to maintain them, and it will be someone else's problem to replace them.

They won't be there in 120 years time. They won't be there in 25, which is as long as they are designed to last, if you're lucky. They are a disposable consumer item. The person putting them in knows they won't have to maintain them, and it will be someone else's problem to replace them.

The PVC windows on my house are 24 years old now and apart for some mucky silicone as good as the day the were fitted. Havent had a single failed unit, hinge gearbox or handle.
Any parts that do ever fail are easily replaced so I will keep the window cleaner coming every 4 months and all is good.

I am ripping out and replacing 5-10 year old timber window all the time due to the rot and crappy quality. I possibly have a whole estate to do if talks with the builders and planners go well. 4 year old timer windows absolutely shot. Hundreds of blown units and rot everywhere.
The plan is for R9 windows.

I almost wish my windows at home had problems so I could have an excuse to fit R9's.

Have you seen the standard colors available now https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?img...K_UAhVGKcAKHYkiC_oQMwgkKAMwAw&iact=mrc&uact=8

I have just had a delivery of timber windows to fit. They look nice but I know they wont last.
Old properly seasoned pitched pine was great wood. If you could get that quality of wood and a good design of window great but you just cant.

I had my timber windows made by a local joiner. No more expensive than buying off the shelf and I'm confident they'll still be here long after I'm gone.

I had my timber windows made by a local joiner. No more expensive than buying off the shelf and I'm confident they'll still be here long after I'm gone.

With respect it depends how old you are, if your 80 then yes they'll still be there long after you've gone, warping and twisting, growing still, requiring a coat of paint every 2 years never mind the rot the painter finds which needs splicing and then there's the dg units that'll fail every few years because of the lack of drainage but what will you care cos you'll be long gone by then!

With respect it depends how old you are, if your 80 then yes they'll still be there long after you've gone, warping and twisting, growing still, requiring a coat of paint every 2 years never mind the rot the painter finds which needs splicing and then there's the dg units that'll fail every few years because of the lack of drainage but what will you care cos you'll be long gone by then!
I'm planning on being around another 30. They've been in 5 years, and haven't done any of those things. I now need to paint them again. Even if I paid someone to do it (which I won't), it'd cost me less than having them ripped out and replaced after a couple of decades because they were shabby, saggy and leaky. Like I said, the virtue of plastic for the buyer is that they can avoid maintenance by punting the costs down the line onto someone else. Regardless of ruining the proportions of his house and the aesthetics of the built environment with badly installed chunks of unsightly plastic held together with dollops of silicone :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back