Confusing problems with heating system

What chemicals are in the system.

Was any electrical work done prior to all the problems.

See above - someone suggested chemcial cleaner left in the system after power flush.

No electrical work was done - why?

Sponsored Links
Something is causing the corrosion by the sounds of it and faulty electrics can cause it.

Does your consumer unit have RCDs?

Might be worth having a visual inspection and a few measurements of your earth system currents.

But we still dont know how well the work has been done and if there are any obvious faults.

It may just be that the leak was ignored for a long time and even the filling loop was left open to compensate and you are reaping the benefits of that.

Tony

Does your consumer unit have RCDs?

Might be worth having a visual inspection and a few measurements of your earth system currents.

But we still dont know how well the work has been done and if there are any obvious faults.

It may just be that the leak was ignored for a long time and even the filling loop was left open to compensate and you are reaping the benefits of that.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the suggestions, but the problem only started after the power flush so I'm sure it has something to do with chemicals left in the system.

Hoew much would a mains water power flush cost? I don't really want to start flushing out all 13 rads!

OP, what was the colour of sediment/ deposit in the filter?

Grasp left pipe in left hand and right in right hand at each radiator after the system has stabilised for CH cycle. One pipe will be hot and other slightly cooler. All radiators should b the same

Top rib on the radiator should b hot

Check above. Also clean filter regularly. System should not need topping up

Is the filter on the return? Even if the rads are rusting, the filter should be stopping most of it getting to the hex?

I'm going today to take samples from the rads, 1 of which was isolated before the power flush so it will be interesting to see if this one contains the same kind of crap the others seem to be producing.

OK, the water in the disused rad with dark-ish, with tiny particles.

The water in the other rads was fairly clear, with tony particles, but smelt more acidy.

The magnetic filter had an inch of crap wrapped around.

Where do I go from here?

OK, the water in the disused rad with dark-ish, with tiny particles.

The water in the other rads was fairly clear, with tony particles, but smelt more acidy.

Where do I go from here?

Rads off and hosepipe flush. Only certain way to sort it out.
Just involves getting off backside.

Where do I go from here?

Whilst I am always ready to help, since I have never been there you ahould not be blaming particles on me.

There does seem to still be a lot of dirt still there.

Tony

Where do I go from here?

Whilst I am always ready to help, since I have never been there you ahould not be blaming particles on me.

There does seem to still be a lot of dirt still there.

Tony

Before I start ripping out rads, would a litmus test be advisable?

Also, if I let some water out of the system whilst opening the tap to let more water in at the same time, would that be ok? If so, how long could I do this for?

Having to drag up this old topic again...

Update since a year ago. Had the system powerflushed again by a different engineer. All ok for two weeks then same problems arose - intermittent heat and hot water, filter clogging up, pressure dropping etc.

The engineer swore blind the powerflush worked first time and diagnosed a faulty plate heat exchanger (we'd already had it replaced, along with most other components in the previous year), and changed it again.

All was well for a few months, now once again it is playing up with all the old issues.

The magnetic filter is caked in crap. Where is this coming from? Can the rads really be failing? Can't get the pressure above 1 bar. Help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back