Confusing problems with heating system

Having to drag up this old topic again...

Update since a year ago. Had the system powerflushed again by a different engineer. All ok for two weeks then same problems arose - intermittent heat and hot water, filter clogging up, pressure dropping etc.

The engineer swore blind the powerflush worked first time and diagnosed a faulty plate heat exchanger (we'd already had it replaced, along with most other components in the previous year), and changed it again.

All was well for a few months, now once again it is playing up with all the old issues.

The magnetic filter is caked in crap. Where is this coming from? Can the rads really be failing? Can't get the pressure above 1 bar. Help!

Previous advise as before. Rads off and hosepipe. Only real way of getting
the dirt out. The radiators are probably old and rusting badly inside.

Sponsored Links
I guess that's the next step but the engineer I spoke to said if a Powerflush doesn't get the crap out, nothing else will.

All the rads/boiler was installed in 2005, apart from two rads that are pretty old. I'll probably change these.

I guess that's the next step but the engineer I spoke to said if a Powerflush doesn't get the crap out, nothing else will.

All the rads/boiler was installed in 2005, apart from two rads that are pretty old. I'll probably change these.

Half the powerflushes done are done badly. If the guy just plugged his machine in and left it running and hour or two without running around the house opening and shutting radiator valves he didn't do it right.

Radiators off cheap and it works.

Sounds to me like your Powerflushes simply haven't been done properly. I do a lot of Powerflushing and if done correctly it DOES work but unfortunately they often aren't. As already advised, rather than spending more money on a Powerflush that may or may not work...

- Add Fernox F5 or Sentinal X800 (nothing acid based as it may be too aggressive)

- circulate for a couple of weeks or so

- take all rads off one by one and give them a thorough rinse out manually in the garden

- then mains-flush the pipework.

Powerflushing only came about to save the time and effort involved in doing it manually so you may as well go old school and do it yourself. If the boiler has already got blockages in it causing poor hot water or overheat then these might have to be removed manually.

Sponsored Links
Beware of sentinel x800 if it is not thoroughly removed after use until water is clean; if some of it is left in the system it turn to a gel and can cause blockages.

Engineer came, cleaded out the heat exchanger and told me the rads must be failing - probably the chrome bathroom one, ten years old from B&Q. 'Made in China, absolute rubbish. Pick up a new one and shake it and listen to it rattle' he said. Also said the magnetic filter wasn't good enough.

My tenants leave in two weeks. Gonna get in, replace the bathroom rad, take the others off and clean them, then mains-flush the system before adding inhibitor.

It is possible, since I have seen it, to powerflush a house including hot water cylinder pipe work; and then find that although system is left perfectly clean particles of baked sludge still appear in the magnetic filter.

This have been found to come from the inside of the pipe in the coil of the hot water cylinder, since they are baked on, the powerflushing doesn't touch them. So suspect the coil in HWC.

Dunno if this is a silly question, but - if I had the heating system running with the fill valve open and undone the stop cock to drain the system, what would happen? Would the boiler continue working, pumping the water out whilst being replenished with mains water, ie cleaning it through thoroughly? Or I am being stupid?

yes, I think that you have been stupid!

Several times you have said the mag filter was found to be full of dirt!

They need cleaning out regularly! They are not fit and forget.

They lose their ability to collect dirt when they are getting full.

You need to learnn how to expty them, takes about 15 min at the most.

Needs to be done as often as it gets dirty!

Thats probably all it needs, although I agree the work has not been done properly with the right chemicals.

Tony

yes, I think that you have been stupid!

Several times you have said the mag filter was found to be full of dirt!

They need cleaning out regularly! They are not fit and forget.

They lose their ability to collect dirt when they are getting full.

You need to learnn how to expty them, takes about 15 min at the most.

Needs to be done as often as it gets dirty!

Thats probably all it needs, although I agree the work has not been done properly with the right chemicals.

Tony

I know what's at fault etc - but what would happen if I did the above?

OK, all rads taken off and flushed - loads of black crud in them, engineer reckons it's limescale. Will fire it up tomorrow and see how long it lasts...

Despite the rads being flushed, two powerflushes, two new hex, still getting loads of crap attached to the mag filter. How can this be?

The powerflushing is probably clearing the muck at that time, but by just sticking raw water in and a cocktail of chemicals is obviously causing more corrosion to occur again, you need to have the system water checked properly, pH, conductivity, salts etc, this will then identify what the problem is with the water, and a solution can be given, as you have learnt, chemicals and filters are not the solution, filters simply mask a problem, they do not solve it, where in the country are you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back