Confusing problems with heating system

Sponsored Links
I've been at the house on and off for the past few weeks. Been cleaning the mag filter regularly after taking off all the rads and flushing them through thoroughly. Today been told hot water is playing up - no doubt the heat exchanger is blocked again.

I am at my wits end with this. Where is this crud coming from?

I have followed advice given on here - rads off / cleaning filter / replaced bathroom rad etc.

Can't believe rads are failing.

The bloke who done the second powerflush swore blind it would cure it. It didn't. Then he blamed the heat exchanger and replaced it. Lasted a few months. Then he said it's the bathroom rad, 'cheap and nasty'. Replaced it - no change. He now blames the other rads. Blames everything instead of sticking to his guarantee and re-flushing again.

Surely the magnetic filter should stop this crud entering the boiler. It's a Fernox TF1 - are they any good? Read that only ever use a Magnaclean.
http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/forum1/fernox-tf1-or-magnaclean-filter-t26859.html

If the crud isn't magnetic, what is it and where is it coming from?

Is there a filter that catches all dirt?

This is what I'm going to do;

a) drain the system
b) fit new heat exchanger
c) refill with Sentinel X300, leave for a month
d) drain system, refill and add inhibitor

Being the summer and the heating is not is use much, will a month be enough for the X300 to work?

If the above doesn't work, I guess I'm looking at new rads.

Sponsored Links
X300 is not designed for that application.

Nevertheless, I have a surplus stock of it and could sell it to you half price if you must use it!

Tony

That needs circulating for just 2-4 hours and removing within two days!

Tony

You can leave it in longer than that tony, didn't they change the formula a while ago to make it less aggressive to metals.
From the fact sheet

Sentinel X800 Jetflo Ultimate Cleaner is a heavy duty cleaning formulation designed to remove corrosion deposits and scale from boiler heat exchangers, radiators and pipework in domestic central heating systems.

Powerful removal of all major foulants and debris
For all systems, old or new, hot or cold
Ideal with or without power flushing
Exceptional results when power flushing
Harmless to the environment, completely non-toxic and biodegradable
It has been developed especially for use with power flushing machines. Sentinel X800 Jetflo cleaning solution is compatible with all commonly encountered metals and alloys, including aluminium. Sentinel X800 jetflo is non-toxic, non hazardous and inherently biodegradible. Although effective when used in conventional gravity/circulation cleaning cycles, the product's full benefits are achieved when used in conjunction with a powerflushing machine such as Sentinel's Jetflush.

TripleTech™ Technology
X800 Jetflo contains, ‘TripleTech Power Clean Technology’ it has unique formula which has 3 different chemical technologies which penetrate and attack system scale and corrosion debris, dissolving into a 'ready to flush' solution, whilst leaving a long lasting anti corrosion surface protection.

X800 Jetflo with TripleTech Power Clean Technology is a powerful, highly active cleaning agent. It's unqiue composition allows Sentinel X800 Jetflo to act as a penetrating dispersant under neutral pH conditions, eliminating the need to clean with conventional acids and the problems associated with them. The formula also contains agents to protect metals form corrosion.

Update. System has been problem free since being last summer after taking all the rads off and hosing thru, fitting new heat exchanger, adding inhibitor and installing a second filter. I'm quite impressed by my own abilities to sort this after nearly ripping the whole system out. Long may it last!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back