Connect record deck to HI FI amplifier (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to plug a record deck into my existing hi fi amp but not sure which socket to use? The options are= 1. Disc 2. Tuner 3. Cd 4. Video. 5. Tape
There doesn't seem to be one for turn table! Can someone let me know which would be best.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
What record deck do you have?
Does it have a built-in pre-amp that you know of?
Edit: I wasn't paying attention - as the hifi mentions disc AND CD, disc may be the one you want.
What hifi do you have?

Last edited:
I just have a couple of speakers and a Rega Mira amp, which I play spotify on. The mrs has bought a cheap turntable which see wants to plug in and play records on.

Sponsored Links
I just have a couple of speakers and a Rega Mira amp, which I play spotify on. The mrs has bought a cheap turntable which see wants to plug in and play records on.
If it's the sort of record deck that cost under £100, and looks like it is built into a suitcase, it has its own speakers built in, and there's a red stylus on the business end of the tonearm, the any input on the Rega except disc.

Any, but not disc.

Do not use disc..

- Any questions? LOL :ROFLMAO:

Important info to save any old or new records.
The stylus tips on these decks wear out quickly. 50 hours playing time. Yup. That's your lot. The average LP carries around 45 minutes of music, so your looking at 60-70 plays before the stylus should be replaced.

Fortunately, the tips are cheap, especially if you buy 4+ at a time, they're commonly available via eBay and Amazon, and they're as simple to remove and install as a plug in air freshener.

Record care
Dust and finger prints are the killers of records. Running a stylus tip over that dust drives it into the groove making it very difficult to remove. Cleaning a record before and after a play will help reduce the dust build up. Handling by the edges and label will avoid getting greasy finger marks o the playing surface which makes dust harder to remove.

A record brush is a very good investment. This is something that actually pays off, so the use of the word investment is appropriate here. A small amount spent plus a little time developing the ritual saves pays you back in records that live longer and don't need to be replaced.

This is very good. The reason is that the velvet pad is about the size of a Mars Bar, so it's wide as well long. It is flanked on both sides by carbon fibre bristles, not just one.

1713099530266.png

I think this below is the same product under a different badge. Google images suggests that it has the double bristle layout, and it's cheap. Worth contacting the seller in Dundee to check.

1713099977435.png

Everything else in record brushes is less: It's a smaller pad, or one row of carbon fibre, or two rows but no pad, yadda yadda yadda.

Here end'eth the lesson.
‐--------------------

Where a bit more cash was splashed, then look at the back of the deck. Near the red and the white RCA sockets youll find a switch. Two options, something like Phono and Line.

Here, setting to Phone is the correct position if you want to use the Disc input on the Rega. The Line setting is for any input except Disc.

Last edited:
Does it not have phono inputs? Perhaps post a pic of the inputs?
Freddie I was like you expecting to find a phono socket to plug into. But no such luck. Regarding pictures something seems to have happened to my account since the last update and it no longer works for me!

Lucid.
It has the normal leads that will plug into an amp but it also says it is a usb turntable?
ION PROFILE LP USB TURNTABLE it was less than a hundred pounds! We must have 50 albums that haven't been played in a long time so not sure of the condition!

Lucid.
It has the normal leads that will plug into an amp but it also says it is a usb turntable?
ION PROFILE LP USB TURNTABLE it was less than a hundred pounds! We must have 50 albums that haven't been played in a long time so not sure of the condition!
The specs say it has a built-in phono preamp, so connect to anything except the Disc input.

USB is for recording to PC. The internal conversion from analogue to digital isn't the best, and you'll use some of the de-noising features in the software to reduce pops and clicks. For this reason, I would stick with the RCA cable connection and avoid using USB for anything but PC copying.

Clear enough?

Last edited:
Ok so we are up and running! plugged it into tuner and it works. Thanks
Just as a matter of interest what is disk for?

Ok so we are up and running! plugged it into tuner and it works. Thanks
Just as a matter of interest what is disk for?
This must be a Mk1 Mira if is has Disc as the input name rather than Phono.

As you probably guessed by the above, Disc is the input for a phono cartridge from a turntable without a pre-amp. I wouldn’t get too hung up on the name. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back