Connecting a ceramic hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, hope someone can help me here.

I have purchased a ceramic hob off ebay and was hoping to get it fitted on Saturday into our new kitchen when our worktops get fitted.

It has just arrived but im puzzled as it has no wiring on the actual hob so I am assuming I need to get a sparky to hard wire something from one of our sockets, is this right?

if I need to get anything can someone tell me what I need, I have 2 single sockets in place behind our cooker, one is for the hob and one is for the oven.

Here is a link to the hob which is a John Lewis JLB1CH605

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260498993667&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
What is the power rating of the hob ?

Is there a dedicated circuit for one of the 'sockets' and does it have a switch above to control it ?

What is the power rating of the hob ?

Is there a dedicated circuit for one of the 'sockets' and does it have a switch above to control it ?

I have absolutely no idea, we got an electrician to put all new sockets in before we started on the kitchen so I dont know whats what with it although im sure I can soon ask.

There is no switch above the cooker, just 2 sockets behind and once the oven is in place these wil be hidden.

Also not sure of the power rating how can I find this out, im looking through the instruction booklet but its not giving a lot away, could it be 6.5kw.

Actualy on he bottom of the hob is a sticker with 3 sections the first has a diagram with heading 400v - 2n the second says 220v - 240v and the third says 230v.

I know im absolutey no help at al but I hope with all that info I have given you something to go off, thanks a lot Paul...

Fitting instructions?
You may need to link live terminals if there is more than 1 (3 phase if more than 1 live terminal, no need to worry though).

Sponsored Links
Have a look at the brochure here.

John Lewis said:
Features
4 ceramic cooking zones
Front left 2.3kW
Back left 1.2kW
Front right 1.2kW
Back right 1.8kW
This totals 6.5kW, like you stated. I think you may be able to apply diversity to ceramic hobs (induction hobs you can not) but despite this, the hob could pull upto ~28A so would need to be on its own 32A circuit, best provided with 6mm² t+e. It cannot be plugged into the existing ring.

The only thing im worried about is if the current wiring behind the wall is not thick or strong enough to cope and it has to be re wired, as the plaster is bang on and fully painted, just worried about any accidents or marks that could be caused.

I know one of the wires behind is stronger than the other if I remember rightly but is that one for the oven, im not sure, its a built in single oven if thats absolutely any help

If you look in your consumer unit/fusebox you might see that the circuits are labelled. You might have a Cooker Circuit as most new houses and rewires include one unless the homeowner is very obstinate and insists they will only ever cook on gas.

If there is a cooker circuit, there will be a large switch and a large outlet. It will be different from any other switch or socket as it carries twice the power or more.

Usually the outlet is below worktoop height but the switch must be above.

You cannot run an electric hob without a cooker circuit. As bongos said, you cannot run it off a plug and socket. It takes far too much power.

Gas hobs are great ;)

p.s. Kitchen fitters are often not good electricians.

right here lies another problem, as yet we dont have a new consumer unit, we have a unit that has fuse wire between so I cant actually see a cooker switch BUT now that youmention it we do have a double socket near our fridge that has a cooker switch on it :D

Does this solve our problem? thanks for everyones help, much appreciated

Maybe/maybe not! ;)

Does it look something like this?

GU4000.JPG

If so then you will be in luck. If not then... :cry:

As JohnD says have look at your existing fuesbox. What do the fuses on them say? Or even better post a pic of it on here. A cooker circuit would usually have a 30A fuse.

Fuse wire sets off warning bells as it is likely to be a very old and unsatisfactory installation.

I really think you need a competent electrician to come and take a look and do it properly.

Bear in mind my comment about kitchen fitters.

its exactly the same, only older :D

any idea on cost of fitting a new consumer unit + electrics for ceramic hob, thanks chaps. just got a few jobs to do and i will get a pic up of old consumer unit.
I believe the house was built early 80's and i would be very surprised if this was not fitted then

its exactly the same, only older :D

any idea on cost of fitting a new consumer unit + electrics for ceramic hob, thanks chaps. just got a few jobs to do and i will get a pic up of old consumer unit.
I believe the house was built early 80's and i would be very surprised if this was not fitted then
Is it a cream coloured Wylex fusebox? No idea on the cost of a Consumer Unit change. Depends on several things. Best bet is to find a few quotes from local electricians. A CU change is notifiable work to your LABC so you will require a spark that can self certify. A good site to have a look is the competent person website.

More info here. ;)

Definitely put up some pics of your exisitng set up though so the sparks on here can give you a better idea...

Electrician installs sockets in kitchen prior to kitchen fit.
+
Fuse wires

Oh dear, :rolleyes: something doesn't sound right.

im not exactly sure how to post up the pictures in the topic but if you have a look in my album I have taken a couplke of pictures of the consumer unit we have in place, thanks chaps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back