Connecting a Volt Free link to the boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Please could someone help me resolve which connection should be made from my Under Floor Heating control centre which calls for heat using a volt free switch.

I have an ideal boiler which has opentherm which has been currently looped, also it has L and L2 connections please see attached.

Im not sure which to connect to?

Ive posted instructions of the control centre and boiler

Thank you

Rick

Attachments

• 20210913_205715.jpg
    20210913_205715.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 259
  • 20210913_205226.jpg
    20210913_205226.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 271
  • 20210913_205039.jpg
    20210913_205039.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 262
Sponsored Links
SL1 is connected as volt free ATM ( check by what is connected other end of grey and black pair). Almost certain SL2 is same but I would be checking for confirmation. While again not saying this with confidence ( would confirm first) Logic may allow you to set the UF heating to lower run temperature and cylinder to higher depending on what is calling for boiler to run

Hi DP

Thank you for reply.

I suspect the same but not 100% sure. We do have UFH in thr existing proprety, the grey and black wire suggests its from the control centre.

The new UFH installed recently has a control centre which calls for heat. I suspect most setups are similar.

Its the Volt free switch on the Control centre needs to be wired to the boiler to call for heat. The diagram depcits this as ornage and grey wire inc earth.

Does the orange or grey need to be connext to L and the other to SL2? I suppose the colour wire doesnt matter as long as it returns back to the boiler as a switch.

Thanks

Rick

Hi Rick
Look at page 38 of the manual
SL-1 is axillary live connection ie boiler electronics will make terminal 5 live
CH and HW motorised valves grey will connect to terminal 5
CH orange will go to 4 and HW to terminal 6

on some boilers, as I said earlier, one is able to set max temperature depending on which terminal is getting bridged by grey and orange wires.

Voltage free tag often plays havoc with installers thinking.
All it means is the switch pair will act as a loop across say terminal 4 and 5 instead of source mains voltage from elsewhere ( even different fused source) to put mains demand on terminal 4 like shown in picture 3 to run the boiler.

If you have a mix of radiators and UF heating plus cylinder, I would connect the volt free to run UF motorised valve and the MV grey and orange of three motorised valves would ultimately link up to terminals 4 and 5 of boiler to run the boiler to any Motorised valve opening to demand

Sponsored Links
Terminal 4 on the boiker is PL pump live.

Surely i dont connect to this?

I onky have two zone UFH control centre. No radiators.

The Heat Enable connection on the control centre Volt Free connects to terminals 2 and 3 on the boiler right?

Hi,

We have a cyclinder which the boiler connets to and this heats up the water for taps etc

Please see attached images of both the boiler diagram and Control Centre.

Attachments

• 20210913_205039.jpg
    20210913_205039.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 106
  • 20210913_205226.jpg
    20210913_205226.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 87
The Heat Enable connection on the control centre Volt Free connects to terminals 2 and 3 on the boiler right?
The UFH controller connects to the rest of the control wiring, which is where the zone valves for the HW, other heating, cylinder thermostat and whatever other controls you have are already connected.

It does not connect directly to the boiler.

Hi Flameport,

Yes the control centre has all the therms, valve, pump and power source already wired into it. There also needs to be a wire switch connection to the boiler which calls for heat.

Everythint is in the diagram attached in the original post.

Hi DP,

Thank you for your help today. Its greatly appriciated.

All im after is someone to advise where i connect the volt free LS and LR switch cable on the Ideal boiler. This is to simply call for heat when the control centre asks...

Can anyone exprienced please help?

Kind regards

Rick

Yes the control centre
The control centre for the rest of the heating system, where the cylinder valve, cylinder thermostat, programmer/timer and whatever else are connected.
Most likely found at the end of the 5 core flex that's currently connected to the boiler.

NOT the new UFH controller.

Hi DP,

Thank you for your help today. Its greatly appriciated.

All im after is someone to advise where i connect the volt free LS and LR switch cable on the Ideal boiler. This is to simply call for heat when the control centre asks...

Can anyone exprienced please help?

Kind regards

Rick
DP is experienced o_O (as is flameport).

• Thanks
Reactions: DP

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back