Connecting an electric oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to connect an oven and need some advice:

I have a 1.5mm heatresistant cable (twin+earth) as per the instruction manual for the oven, and the connection box in the back of the oven has 3 big screws on metal plates, one each for blue, brown and earth.

I'm not sure how to connect wires to such a setup and wonder if I just strip the individual wires down to the copper, place the (blue) wire between the plate and screw with the (blue) wire in the oven and then tighten the screw on the copper?

Or do I need some sort of connection plates, as mentioned here in this thread?

Many thanks,

Sponsored Links
It sounds like standard terminal posts. What you do is strip the end of the cores, a good length, about a centimetre or so. Loosen off the screws a good distance and wrap the stripped wire around the screw. Its essential that you wrap it so the wire is "pulled in" when the screw is tightened. There is only one direction this happens. Do the screws up nice and tight.

You shouldnt need crimp on eyes.

Can you take a photograph of the terminals (close up, use Macro focus on your camera) and upload it here, so I can confirm your terminals are what I think?

Dou you have a make and model number? Can you find the instructions online - Might be able to check from them.

Hi there, thanks a million:
I've just connected one in the way you explained, is this the way to do it?

Many thanks again!!

Once again, I cant see unless I have a photo! If the cable feels tight and the screw doesnt come loose when you tug it, then its probably ok, but I cant give a definite answer.

A make and model would be helpful so I may search for instructions for you.

Sponsored Links
Not a bad attempt. But it's best not to trap any insulation between the metal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back