1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Connecting Gas Cooker To Electrics - Am I Being Thick??

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by HugeWesty, 20 Sep 2020.

1. HugeWesty

HugeWesty

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    So I had a lot of my kitchen re-done which meant a lot more electrical points etc. When I had the electrics done, I asked for specific sockets to connect the hood extractor and gas cooker.

Please see pictures below, picture 1 shows spur fuse which I understand is to offer added protection from cooker blowing etc. Pic 2 shows nearest electrical outlet to this, which are going to be above worktop. Pic 3 shows spur fuse and adjacent electrical socket for extractor.

Unless I am being massively thick - I need electrician to come in again and put electric socket next to cooker fuse spur as gas cooker comes with standard 3 point plug?? ......... If so, will the wall need to be chased again or is there easier way? Sockets will be hidden by cooker/base units etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sponsored Links
  3. flameport

flameport

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Either change that FCU to a socket, or remove the plug from the cooker and wire into the FCU.

Same applies to the extractor - it either plugs in, or is wired to the FCU. No need for both items in the same location.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    There is no point in having a FSU before a 13amp socket, because both will have fuses in them. which means under fault conditions either or both could blow - Just swap the FSU for a socket and check the cooker plug has a suitable fuse fitted in it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. HugeWesty

HugeWesty

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the responses, changing FCU to a socket sounds my most preferable option. Is this quite straight forward enough for DIY'er to do? (Obv will turn off electrics and have a wire detector pen etc)

6. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes, it should be a five minute job.

• Like Like x 1
  7. HugeWesty

HugeWesty

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks anyone for their advice, so can just take the existing FCU template off - disconnect the wires and then easily connect the wires into a single socket outlet ready for the new cooker? ........ All the wires will be the same - simple?

8. Simon35

Simon35

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes.

For the extractor, just plug it in. Yes you will have 2 fuses in series, not at all necessary, but not a problem.

9. Sponsored Links