Connecting Genset ATS to house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought a Generator with ATS but confused as to how to connect it to the house. I do understand the function of the ATS, but connecting the it seems unclear. The Genset has 4 wires (3 live and 1 neutral) the 3 live wires feeds into a Circuit Breaker (CB) before entering the ATS. The neutral wire bypasses the CB and feeds directly into the ATS as well. There are also other small size wires that are connected to the ATS coming from the digital panel of the generator. I can only see another empty 4 points where 3 live and 1 neutral can be connected to the ATS. This is where I became confused. I was hopping that the Electricity Main supply will also feed into the ATS and there should be 4 point output that connects to the house. Which means that there should be 3 sets of 4 points on the ATS. In my ATS, I can only see 2 sets of 4 points. Can you help?

Sponsored Links
I'm going to sound thick now but what's an ATS? Some sort of overcurrent protection?

Assuming you are in the UK it might be worth asking of this to be moved to the UK forum. You'll get lot more advice in there!

your house is 3 phase?
ATS = Automatic Transfer Switch.. ie auto start on mains fail..

Sponsored Links
Make, model, photos.

What type of supply do you currently have?

View media item 21051 View media item 21050
Thanks guys.

I have attached the pictures of the ATS. ATS stands for: Automatic Transfer Switch. It monitors the electricity situation and start the genset and transfer load to it when there is power failure. It also turns the genset off and transfer the load back to the Main Power when the electricity is restored.

I am trying to connect this myself but I have lost the manual and cannot figure out how to do it.

I count 3 sets of 4 points in that picture..

4 already connected to the generator, 4 above those with small wires
and then 4 out on the bottom which should be to the house..

the 4 that have the small wires will be so the electronics can monitor the mains..this will be your mains in

again i ask.. your house is 3 phase yes?

View media item 21052is it a sky 1 or a sky 2 switch?

Yes, the house is 3 phase - with 3 phase (4 wires) coming in rom the gride, with 3 phase consumer unit. (I am going to ask you a question about the consumer unit setup after this pls).

I can see the the connections.. so that leaves the bottom free to connect to the house. The top with the small wires (in front of those connected to the genset) is for the grid supply input right? I was thinking they are already connected, so I need to connect the supply from the grid to it as well?

yes.
the small wires are for monitoring the grid to switch over and start the generator when needed.

how should I know.. all i know is that there is sky 1 and sky 2 types on the website..
I think it's the amperage.. sky 2 only seems to go up to 100A..

is there a cover that goes over those connections other than the door?

there ought to be otherwise it's fairly dangerous to reach in there for the handle with live mains right by your knuckles..

The ATS is the SYK2 series. It covers up to 80/100A. The generator is 40KW. Other than the outer door, there is no cover to the ATS. It looks like I need to be careful with it after connection. Any advice here?

Regarding the consumer Unit: Its 3 phase, but I am using single phase MCBs. Which means that the load is distributed across each phase. Q: Does the load have to be distributed equally to each phase? Is there a problem with this method? I do not have any equipment that is 3 phase.

The cable running to the consumer units is 35mm 4core - this will be connected to the ATS. But the cable that runs from the Genset into the ATS is not up to 25mm. Is this a problem?

I appreciate your advice and assistance a lot.

Thanks

40KW = 13.3KW per phase.. your average single phase house is 18-23KW.. ( 80 - 100A )..

as long as your normal use is reasonably ballanced and not over about 56A per phase then you should be fine..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back