Connecting house to Detached garage

mpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi And Happy Easter

We have a large detached double garage in our garden. At some point we think this was extended (i'm sure I found planning from 1982 to add extension into snooker room/Granny flat before we bought the house but can't find anythign online now)
At some point in its life its had a kitchen and a full bathroom. We've also seen some pictures of when the garden was split into two. So we are sure its been a granny flat.

So we know the front half is original to the house. OS map from 1911 shows garage
But we think it was extended in 1982

Our site is the one with the * and as you can see its a sizable garage.

We want to connect to the garage via the outrigger ( current utility room)

My thoughts are a lean to type addition with a garden facing Opening either for Bifolds or big doors

PD or Planning.
Or can we get round Planning by looking at other ways to link?

Cheers

Attachments

• House planning.JPG
    House planning.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 479
  • Garage link.JPG
    Garage link.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 542
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If the Utility was not part of the ‘original’ building, I can’t see how you could infill the gap under PD as it would exceed the PD guidelines, i.e. exceed 8m in depth via the Neighbour Consultation Scheme.

What are your concerns if you did have to submit a formal Planning application? Have the LPA been difficult for extensions/alterations to the property to date? As the extension is located to the rear, I can’t see why the LPA would have as many concerns.

If you were to infill the gap with a traditional extension, would that the remove the access from the front to the rear or is there still sufficient access on the other side? Not that it’s a Planning policy to provide front to rear access but more from a re-sale point of view.

If the Utility was not part of the ‘original’ building, I can’t see how you could infill the gap under PD as it would exceed the PD guidelines, i.e. exceed 8m in depth via the Neighbour Consultation Scheme.

What are your concerns if you did have to submit a formal Planning application? Have the LPA been difficult for extensions/alterations to the property to date? As the extension is located to the rear, I can’t see why the LPA would have as many concerns.

If you were to infill the gap with a traditional extension, would that the remove the access from the front to the rear or is there still sufficient access on the other side? Not that it’s a Planning policy to provide front to rear access but more from a re-sale point of view.

We think the utility was part of the original building. Its shown on this 1911 map. However we believe the Garage may have been extended to the rear around 1982. But can't find planning application anymore.

There is plenty on room around the other side for Fire hose access. (I seem to remember that being an issue with my folks extension plans)

I don't think the LPA would be difficult. Its just more red tape & cost etc.

Attachments

• Roe_Lane_1911.png
    Roe_Lane_1911.png
    868.2 KB · Views: 283
  • 1911 utility.JPG
    1911 utility.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 286
Ah ok, that would be deemed as original. My personal opinion is that it would require Planning. The only thing I can base that on is I did something similar (to provide an infill extension) and the LPA stated the resulting extensions would exceed the limits as stipulated under PD. Still to this day I was a little confused as both the dwelling and garage were in that situation built at the same time. But because the clients wanted to press on, we just ended up submitting a formal application as a result of the ‘confusing’ Pre-application advice.

If you were looking to go down the PD route, would you have just carried out the works without going down the Certificate of Lawfulness route? If so, then I can understand the added pain about the additional red tape. If however you were going down the CoL route, then the application fee would have only been 50% of the Planning few anyway, still with an up to 8 week determination period.

Sponsored Links
Planning would still treat that as an extension so the same rules there would still apply irrespective of its construction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back