Connecting series of bulkhead lights with conduit... waterproof too

Sponsored Links
Fp200 even, using flexglands, though more fixing clip holes possibly may cause more water ingress to the celler, could thread it through pvc conduit to support it, sometimes neater and fewer fixings

2.jpg

Sorry but that looks dreadful.

Be it steel or plastic I don't like conduit where it is wet, it is a pipe and any failure with any fitting can cause water to be transferred to another fitting. The German idea of straight lengths and free air on bends does give some mechanical protection without piping water but personally I have never liked the idea of free air between lengths of conduit. Liquid can force it's way down the SWA strands in an extreme case a switch room was filled with hydrofluoric acid in one job I was one but this is rare. Ali-tube is still a tube and still can transfer water. Mineral insulated needs high skill to install. So I would use SWA rather than conduit the distance between saddles is nearly the same.

However filling JB's with re-enterable compound would also stop water but likely drain holes will work better.

Sponsored Links
LED ropelight attached to the soffit with P clips? By the time you've bought conduit, cable, luminaires, etc, the price for LED may be competitive.

TLC have LED duralight, about £200+VAT for 50 metres
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SK153457.html

Also you may wish to consider some battery backed up emergency fittings in some guise, on the assumption there is no natural light whatsoever

Sorry but that looks dreadful.

Oh I know.

It's most definitely not my work - it's from some random sparks website on Google. I did say it wasn't a good example. "Oh I've cut the cable too short, I'll have to use a grey adaptable box and not cover the glands properly with the shrouds, and then I'll take a photo of it and put it on my website"

Maybe there used to be something where the box is - photocell or PIR for example.

Although he could have used a black box...

How much are you looking to spend on the project?

As another user above suggested I would use Pyro if I wanted a sound install that will last for years!

You Could pick up 100m of 2L1.5 enough Glands/Pots/Seals for about £300.

Maybe there used to be something where the box is - photocell or PIR for example.

Although he could have used a black box...

That is true, it could have been a photocell. But you can just about see the bend in the cable on the right. If he'd taken it straight and moved the fitting up 3 bricks, jobs a good un

How much are you looking to spend on the project?

As another user above suggested I would use Pyro if I wanted a sound install that will last for years!

You Could pick up 100m of 2L1.5 enough Glands/Pots/Seals for about £300.

And if you've never used pyro/have to buy all the tools/learn how to work with it?

Not saying it's not a valuable skill, but I think a bit OTT for a DIY job.

And if you've never used pyro/have to buy all the tools/learn how to work with it?

Not saying it's not a valuable skill, but I think a bit OTT for a DIY job.

Very True,
though an install of this size sounds like it is worth doing properly first time.
Possibly not such a good idea for DIY'er but would certainly be installing it myself probably in 3l1.5 for an emergency feed.

Totally agree, but I think for a DIYer, no matter how competent, SWA would be a better place to start.

The only tools you need are the ones pretty much everyone has in their toolbox anyway, and it's pretty easy to work with. And you can get 100m of 3C 1.5 for ~£100, don't know how many gland kits he needs but I reckon you're talking half the price of MICC - with no extra tools to buy

Either a BESA box behind the luminaires or adjacent to them with a gregg (Klik) would be the most sensible way. I certainly wouldn't run the conduit through the luminaires because, as you say, it won't aid replacement.

Yes - I guess I foolishly assumed when he started talking about conduit that he meant the proper stuff.

There is a reg that prohibits through wiring of luminaries isn't there? A tee box next to each one would be my choice, with a small stab of conduit.

It's not like it's outside and ****ing with rain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back