Connecting to 1 1/2" lead waste pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am re-doing a bathroom in a 1940's house, the Basin waste falls in to a lead pipe which is 1 1/2" in diameter, this is the first time i have come across lead when doing bathroom renovations.

Is there a standard method of connecting plastic to lead?
I have brought a 1 1/2" rubber Fernco STR coupler but am not sure its OK to go down that route

:?:
Thanks Ian

Sponsored Links
These flexy couplings do raise their ugly heads from time to time and they can get you out of a jam (Screwfix 81383 in your case).....best to replace the whole length if possible!
John :)

Thanks guy's
The pipe goes straight down under the floor and they don't want the floor taken up so i have to deal with what is there....

Sponsored Links
More elegant is to wipe a stub of 42mm copper into the lead and then a compression connector to plastic. Otherwise I'm with Dan.

More elegant is to wipe a stub of 42mm copper into the lead and then a compression connector to plastic. Otherwise I'm with Dan.

Em !! be interesting to know how many modern plumbers under 50 that can wipe a joint. :rolleyes:

Wiping some copper in is the only nice way, it's an art but not that hard, especially on wastes.
We refurbed an old listed hall a while back and all the lead soil/waste had to stay as far as possible, then onto copper.

Great video very DIY :)

Pity i can't strip out the old lead as their budget does not allow for this

We refurbed an old listed hall a while back and all the lead soil/waste had to stay as far as possible, then onto copper.
I did similar at an old hall once - in the village of Fulking , West Sussex . Fulking Hall :mrgreen: at the bottom of Fulking Hill

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back