Connecting up bath taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am in the process of redoing my bathroom and a bit of a plumbing novice, it is fair to say, so learning as I go along.

We have a gravity fed system so I have removed the old bath, cut the pipes and added 22mm ful bore isolation valves to the existing copper pipes (compression fit). This all went fine- no issues. Photo attached.

Now I need to connect up the new bath and taps obviously. I asked the plumbers merchant if they had full bore flexi of some description and they have supplied what they told me would work fine. However, it is JG speedfit and the bore behind the push fit is ridiculously small which I am sure is going to cause me issues with flow rate? That said, I am struggling to find genuine full bore flexi, or something that is specified as such. I was anticipating having to remove the isolation valves and push fitting onto the copper pipe when connecting up.

Does anyone have any suggestions or pointers? Is there an easier way to do this with some form of thread connection at both ends? The thread on the isolation valve is slightly wider than the standard bath tap connection. or plumbers piping of some description- but then how do I get the threaded connection at the other end.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Attachments

• 4F86B0CD-95E2-403C-A869-0691E7741CA0.jpeg
    4F86B0CD-95E2-403C-A869-0691E7741CA0.jpeg
    225.7 KB · Views: 95
Sponsored Links
First check the bore of the taps you intend to fit - I'll bet they are smaller than 22mm ;)

Right yes I did have a look at that- thanks. It does indeed get a bit narrower, or from what I can see anyway. It's just the speedfit ones they supplied seem to narrow quite a lot. I guess it may be ok then?

Does anyone have any suggestions or pointers? Is there an easier way to do this with some form of thread connection at both ends? The thread on the isolation valve is slightly wider than the standard bath tap connection. or plumbers piping of some description- but then how do I get the threaded connection at the other end.

Can you not do it all in copper? Copper down from the tap, then do the final compression joint under the bath, when the bath is finally in situ.

Sponsored Links
Can you not do it all in copper? Copper down from the tap, then do the final compression joint under the bath, when the bath is finally in situ.

The bath tap connections are a slightly different width apart to the copper pipes and there isn't really much movement in them unfortunately. I did see that you can get some flexible plumbers piping which I wondered was an option. Probably a silly question but if I could use something like this, how would I then get the threaded connection I need to connect up to the bath taps?

Flexible copper plumbing sticks in 22 mm will probably work for you if you can't work with rigid copper. I think some are available with 3/4 tap connector at one end ,22mm at the other to connect to your isolator.

Flexible copper plumbing sticks in 22 mm will probably work for you if you can't work with rigid copper. I think some are available with 3/4 tap connector at one end ,22mm at the other to connect to your isolator.

Thanks...I did wonder if there was something like this but struggling to find it. I will keep searching.

Thanks it was whether they do a flexible copper pipe with the bath tap (3/4?) connector on one end, which I can't seem to find....
Guess you’ll have to settle for flexi’s, the ones I’ve linked and a tap connector or do it in plastic?

Get a bending spring for a fiver and a length of pipe and do the whole run in copper. It's really easy to bend copper with a spring by small amounts to get it to line up.

Add tap connectors to the taps before fitting the bath (look at hep20 push fit for the tap connectores) and then push in the copper pipe to connect it all up.

Get a bending spring for a fiver and a length of pipe and do the whole run in copper. It's really easy to bend copper with a spring by small amounts to get it to line up.

Add tap connectors to the taps before fitting the bath (look at hep20 push fit for the tap connectores) and then push in the copper pipe to connect it all up.

All noted thanks- didn't realise you could bend copper pipe so that is useful to know. I found a couple of Hep20 flex connectors last night that were advertised as having an 18mm bore size so I've ordered those and hopefully they will work out ok.

Thanks all for the assistance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back