Connection of wireless receiver with Boiler

In your first post (about 2 months ago) you said:

I bought a house and it is having Boiler 532/i by Scottish gas

Does that mean:

1. The 532i was there when you moved in; or
2. You had a new boiler installed?

If it was there when you moved in, has the heating ever worked since you moved in?

If it's a new boiler, call the installer back and get them to sort the problem.

You have a combi boiler, which doesn't require a 3-port valve.

Can you find the other end of the grey wire from the receiver terminal 5. (it's in the same cable as the wires to boiler terminals N and L).

Sponsored Links
I haven't tried linking Lr and Ls (Sorry ! actually I want to understand how the circuit was working)

The relay simply joins the two wires together! That is why we're asking you to do it.

Obviously if you follow the track back inside the receiver unit it will lead to said relay[/quote]

Thanks for your time.

This boiler was already installed, when i moved in.
yes, Heating was working fine when i moved in. I checked by myself by increasing the temp. in thermostat and checked all radiators was all fine/heated up.

the other end of grey wire is not connected anywhere. It is just hanging and i can't see this get unpluged bychance as this is all covered. please see the pic. (Boiler internal connection with grey wire)

I tried by connecting Lr and ls . heating get started.

can we say receiver is faulty ? or please advise about the next step now.

the other end of grey wire is not connected anywhere. It is just hanging and i can't see this get unplugged by chance as this is all covered. please see the pic. (Boiler internal connection with grey wire)
I have no idea why the grey wire is just hanging in the air, though it looks as if someone has cut it. It needs connecting to Lr.

I tried by connecting Lr and ls . heating get started.
Which proves that the boiler works.

can we say receiver is faulty?
NO; you cannot say that.

The only obvious fault is that the grey wire is not connected to Lr.

Sponsored Links
I tried connecting the grey wire to Lr with no luck.

I tried synchronizing both receiver and thermostat, the green light is on but ir doesn't start the boiler for CH.

Any advise please ? can we say receiver is faulty ? how can i check if this is the case ?

I tried connecting the grey wire to Lr with no luck.

Can we say receiver is faulty ? how can i check if this is the case ?
Now we can say that, possibly, the receiver is faulty.

Do you have a multimeter (and know how to use it ;) )?

If so, you need to measure the voltage between grey wire and the N terminal when the boiler should be alight. It should be 240Vac.

If that's OK, there is a fault in the boiler.

If not OK, you need to check the voltages at the receiver.

Remove receiver from back plate and measure the voltages on the backplate.

1. Check for 240Vac between terminal L and N
2. Check for 240Vac between terminal 1 and N

If they are OK, you will have to remove the back plate (note the wiring).

Connect a lead with a 3 pin plug on one end to L and N, and link L to 1.
Plug in to a socket and make sure the receiver is powered up OK.
Mount receiver on backplate

Check voltages L to N and 1 to N, as above (just to make sure).

Now measure the voltage between 3 and N when calling for heat. Should be 240Vac.

If no voltage, the receiver is faulty.

If you are handy with a soldering iron, it is possible to repair the receiver. Otherwise you will need a new receiver. Take the old one to the shop to make sure you get the right one as there have been several versions. It is made by Drayton for Britihs Gas, so a Drayton receiver will be OK.

Thanks for all your help! i can say that Receiver is faulty.

Do you know if i can get the receiver only or i need to buy the whole pair ?
If yes then from where I can buy the British gas receiver ?

Do you know if i can get the receiver only or i need to buy the whole pair ?
If yes then from where I can buy the British gas receiver ?
As I said in my last reply, the WR1 is made for BG by Drayton. It is the Drayton SCR with a BG badge on it. So a standard Drayton SCR is what you need.

Unfortunately I don't know if this is available on its own or not. I suggest you try a plumbers merchant - not a DIY shed.

If you find that you cannot get the SCR on its own, I suggest you replace the complete thermostat with a Honeywell one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back