connector box / choc box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the difference between a connector box and a choc box?

The connector box is 75 pence, the choc box is one pound.

I am shortly doing a diy home installation of new ring circuits and will be using these to keep the existing cables live before taking them offline.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I mean can terminal blocks be used for connecting 2.5mm cable on an old installation temporarily ?

Stillp appears to say yes. I'll wrap it instulating tape but I'm not sure what strain relief means.. ?

Insulating tape is not suitable.
They need to be in a rigid enclosure, and strain relief means that the terminations (connections) are not subjected to any strain when the cables outside the enclosure are moved about.

I mean can terminal blocks be used for connecting 2.5mm cable on an old installation temporarily ?
"Temporary" has to be just as proper/safe as permanent, particularly since the former often morphs into the latter! As you've been told, 'terminal (connector) blocks' are acceptable IF they are inside some sort of enclosure and if there is 'strain relief'.
Stillp appears to say yes. I'll wrap it instulating tape but I'm not sure what strain relief means.. ?
Insulating tape is not adequate/acceptable. It needs to be in a 'box'. 'Strain relief' refers to the cable clamps which prevent the cables being yanked out of the terminals.

Just invest 75p or £1 and get ione of the boxes you mentioned.

Kind Regards, John

'Strain relief' refers to the cable clamps which prevent the cables being yanked out of the terminals.
Not just against being yanked out, but against being loosened, which leads to high resistance and overheating.

I'm a bit concerned you are questioning what 'strain relief' is but you intend to be "doing a diy home installation of new ring circuits"..............

Do you intend to do the complete install yourself including testing and commissioning?

I'm a bit concerned you are questioning what 'strain relief' is but you intend to be "doing a diy home installation of new ring circuits"..............
To be frank, I'm more concerned that he needed to ask the question in the first place, and then proposed to wrap a connector block in 'insulating tape', than that he doesn't know what 'strain relief' means.

Kind Regards, John

Do you intend to do the complete install yourself including testing and commissioning?

Apparently he relies on the fact that the A&E and fire station are just around the corner, and a bit further down the road there's an undertakers. So he's well covered for anything that could possibly go wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back