connector box / choc box

I'm a bit concerned you are questioning what 'strain relief' is but you intend to be "doing a diy home installation of new ring circuits"..............

Do you intend to do the complete install yourself including testing and commissioning?
To be frank, I'm more concerned that he needed to ask the question in the first place, and then proposed to wrap a connector block in 'insulating tape', than that he doesn't know what 'strain relief' means.
You both need to read his body of work here.

The man is the personification of ignorant incompetence and an utter refusal to listen to advice which conflicts with what he has already decided he is going to do.

Sponsored Links
"Temporary" has to be just as proper/safe as permanent
It is also subject to the same legal and regulatory requirements.

I am shortly doing a diy home installation of new ring circuits.
Did you apply for Building Regulations approval?

Do you know what tests you would carry out on these circuits - what sequence you'd do them in and at what point you would energise them, and for each test do you know what is being measured, why it is important, how you would carry out the test, and with what equipment, and what sort of results you would expect to get if everything was OK?

I think the original was called a Moule box named after the inventor, lots copied the idea with slight differences and adopted there own names, Choc box comes with NO connectors, Choc block was just a slang term for Connecter blocks used by lazy electricians.
Some come with terminals included and some dont, some have single screw,screw down lids some have 2 screws, some dont have any.
The cheaper ones are thinner and flimsy, some are more robust, some have tags on for fixing, some have screw down cable clamps and some just have a wedge type plastic clamp.
When regs changed a few years back they were forced to fit some sort of cable clamp (strain relief)

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back