Conservatory fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a fan in my conservatory and I'm not sure how to fasten it to the pitched roof. Can I attach it to the tie bars? Drill the roof plate? buy a fixing plate?

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't bother mate, they tend to be too noisy/drafty to have on, we have never used any that came with houses and are about to get rid of the one in our conservatory.

If you do fit one then fit it to the most substantial bit of frame work and consider re-inforcing structure.

When they start and are accelerating the blades there is an equal and opposite force trying to rotate the body of the fan in the opposite direct.

A neighbour's conservatory developed leaks between glass and framing timber around the boss where his fan was fitted less than year after the fan ws fitted. The other identical boss had no problems. Looking closely it was possible to see the frames distort by a mm or so relative to the glass when the fan was switched on and accelerating.

It was a low cost conservatory with minimal timber so the effect was greater than it would be on a well built conservatory ( or would it ? )

From memory, you can get a metal mounting plate which you screw to the metal work behind the plastic cladding. It's best to drill a 20 mm through this plate, and use a rubber grommet, before fixing in place.

You will then find you may need to fix a piece of plywood or similar to this plate, to fit nicely between the plate and the plastic cladding - otherwise the cladding will become distorted when the fan is fixed in place.

You can then drill holes in the cladding, and pass the fan screws through the cladding, then screw into the wood and even the metal plate.

Sponsored Links
I fitted a replacment fan in a conservatory just before xmas and im sure there was a special mounting bracket inplace that clamped to the Upvc and had threaded holes to attach the mounting plate to.
I would try TLC electrical wholesalers online as thats where i bought my replacement, the original was made by a company called fantasia they may be abel to provide mounting information.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back