Conservatory incorporating existing retaining wall. Good idea?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm considering building as conservatory that incorporates the retaining wall shown in the photos. As it is, it would be a perfect dwarf wall that I could extend to form the rest of it.

Good or bad idea?
img_1726.jpg
img_1727.jpg

Sponsored Links
Not a good idea. Unlikely the foundations are up to modern requirements or wide enough to support the cavity wall that you ought to be putting in.

As an aside, it'll be tricky making the link from conservatory to existing low roofline look ok

Thanks. I'm going to dig and see how deep the foundations go. I'd use the retaining wall as the outer skin if decent enough foundations. The base would be a trapezium and I'd have floor to ceiling brick square columns like an orangery at each corner. These columns would be given deep foundations as they would be supporting the roof. Retaining wall will only take weight of windows.

Yes, I've given a lot of thought to the roof problem. I think I'm going to go flat roof with lantern.

There would be a problem with waterproofing having the retaining wall as the outer leaf of a new cavity wall because any water entering the cavity would not be able to dry out with the external ground level being at least 450mm above the floor level of the conservatory.

Sponsored Links
There would be a problem with waterproofing having the retaining wall as the outer leaf of a new cavity wall because any water entering the cavity would not be able to dry out with the external ground level being at least 450mm above the floor level of the conservatory.

What about tanking the retaining wall?

DMP over covering the all of the retaining wall that meets the cavity? Which would only be 1.7m of the retaining wall.

DMP over covering the all of the retaining wall that meets the cavity? Which would only be 1.7m of the retaining wall.
A lot of retaining walls are meant to allow water to penetrate. Otherwise it increases the load on the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back